Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Re: Dropbox Finder integration breaks Quick Look and thumbnails - Mac OS Mojave 10.14

Level 4

Hey just curious, you are trying to use QuickLook on LOCAL files correct? If finder integration is ON then there will be a green checkmark on bottom right of icon (in icon view). 

If these are online only (cloud icon) QuickView will NOT work. 

LMK how it goes!

-A

Re: Dropbox Finder integration breaks Quick Look and thumbnails - Mac OS Mojave 10.14

Level 3

Hey @alexolmsted Yes I have Dropbox set to Local, I am not using Online Only and with Finder Integration on there is NO GREEN CHECKMARK in the bottom right of icon in icon view as you say.

To see that you would have to right click and open the menu and then select Smart Sync and see that Local has a green circle and tick.

However that is not my real issue

I am noticing that there is major weird issues with icon preview in List view. Column view shows icon previews but list view wont do it unless you select View Options and then change from Small to Large icon size. Then the icon previews show up. This seems to affect mainly the new Microsoft files but also PDF's

Odd thing is that even after running the 3 commands (including the touch one) the Quicklookplugin generator file has returned and shows up in Library-Quicklook

Level 4

hey @Deli-cious F. 

Hmm....here are some things to try:

1. resetting PRam and SMC
  2. use "clean my mac" and try running permissions 
  3. Bootup in safeboot and see if QuickLook works
  4. Run disk repair from Recovery mode
  5. Re-installing Mojave

I don't recommend 4 & 5 until you've consulted with some experts tho. 

-A

Level 2

The same phenomenon have been occurring from when the latest version of Dropbox had been released.

@Andrew D.4 wrote:

For the past few months I've been having issues with image previews not loading on my Mac in Quick Look, Finder previews or icon thumbnails. I have experienced the problem on both Mac OS High Sierra and Mojave. My colleagues also seem to be experiencing the same issue.

Screenshot 2018-10-01 at 14.08.04.pngI finally took the time this week to figure out what is causing the issue. As far as I can tell the problem is caused by Dropbox Finder integration. As soon as I turned off Dropbox finder integration (and restart the machine) file previews and Quick Look work perfectly.

For now I'm keeping Dropbox Finder integration turned off - I'm a designer and image previews are incredibly useful.  I'd prefer to be able to enable Dropbox Finder integration as the sync status icons are useful. 

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a fix?

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Dropbox Finder integration breaks Quick Look and thumbnails - Mac OS Mojave 10.14
43 Replies
30 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post