cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Icons on EXPLORER files and folders missing but visible in Open and Save As Dialog Boxes

Dropbox Icons on EXPLORER files and folders missing but visible in Open and Save As Dialog Boxes

Andreas_HH
Explorer | Level 3

The Dropbox icons are gone when I use the Windows 10 explorer including the . I tried everything I could find in the web to fix it without success. It took me 2 days now.

I noticed: In the Windows 10 explorer, no Dropbox icons are shown and no Dropbox context menu entries are shown ( Dropbox share..., copy Dropbbox Link, show on Dropbox)

But in most Open and Save As Dialog Boxes - like Word OpenDialog - all icons are visible, all context menu entries are shown. E.g. the Open Dialog of NOTEPAD doesn't show icons and menus.

I reeinstalled several times, ranked the overlay identifiers, moved der Dropbox folder. Now I have no idea what else I could try. May be you.

Thanks Andreas

20 Replies 20

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Thanks for confirming; I’ve already made sure to reach out to you on my end Andreas (@Andreas_HH). Whenever you find some time, please check your inbox for my email & I’ll make sure to promptly follow-up with you more closely from where we’ve left off here. 

Thanks & I’ll be awaiting your next reply!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Till_P
Explorer | Level 4

Hi, I do have exactly the same problem.

The Icons Overlay & DB-Context menu only works within "Not another PDF Scanner" Application.

Any other application (including explorer) won't show the Icons or the context menu.

Is ther any solution on this already?

Andreas_HH
Explorer | Level 3

Sorry Jane, never received a message. Can you resend pls.

Thanks

Andreas

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Hey @Andreas_HH & @Till_P, please accept my apologies for the slight delay in getting back in touch with you; I’ll do my best to follow-up on your requests & help you amend that as much as I can on my end. 

For starters, following-up from your request here @Andreas_HH, I have now created a new support request on our system on your behalf. Please let me know if you haven’t received that in your inbox & I’ll advise further on how you could go about on this inquiry. Thanks for checking back with me here! 

From there @Till_P, it’s my understanding that you’ve already checked back on the hints I’ve posted here previously, is that right? If so, then it looks like the issue you're facing could be related with the level of access to the Windows Registry.

This means that Dropbox is attempting to access vital account information using your Windows Registry, but is being denied permission. Would you mind trying the steps outlined on this resource as a follow-up step for me & see if this is the solution you’re seeking? 

If you have questions before doing any of the steps stated in the article, please let me know. Alternatively, please keep me updated on the outcome!

Jane
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Till_P
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Jane, I just tried the registry fixes/folder permissions/ reinstall. But still i experience this: Very few app show the overlay icons ... most (incl explorer) won't! Am I missing something here?? Any ideas? Thanks in advance! 

Best

Tilll

Unbenannt-2.jpgUnbenannt-1.jpg

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Hey @Till_P, I appreciate it that you took the time to re-install Dropbox & illustrate your point with these screengrabs! 

I’m wondering if you’ve also had a chance to check my post in the previous page at all, where I had also linked this resource that could help you paint a clearer picture. Is there any chance that you're hitting the 15 overlay icons limitation that applies to Windows devices? 

Please keep me posted on your findings in your next message & I'll follow-up with you asap!

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Till_P
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Jane, if you are refering to the Windows icons overlay... i tried that! I was renaming the dropbox overlays with spaces to move them up, and now changed them back to normal. as in my screenshot.  nothing changed so far 😞  .... maybe i am missing sth basic here? THanks for ur patience!Unbenannt-1.jpg

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Thanks for the screengrab @Till_P; following-up from your last post, it looks like there are 17 entries registered. While the Dropbox overlays are placed on the first 15 positions, it’s advisable to avoid surpassing the 15-spots limit. Please note that this requires you to delete or deprioritize other applications' overlays, so only proceed if you’re sure about what you'll affect.

If you’re still unable to get to the bottom of this discrepancy after following my suggestions, please let me know here & I’ll follow a different course of action Till. Thanks again for sticking with me on that! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Till_P
Explorer | Level 4

hi jane, thans for your reply. i just can't get the icon overlays to work. which is a bit of a hustle if i want to share links directly from my desktop. i did what u suggested an reduced the overlays to 15 entries. but it didnt change anything. is another path i could check? thanks best 

till Anmerkung 2019-12-02 151634.jpg

Till_P
Explorer | Level 4

.. ah well an  there are no dropbox entries in the right-mouse click context menu on any file within the dropbox folder. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jane Dropbox Staff
    Till_P Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?