Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

Dropbox Sync Issues on macOS Catalina (10.15) and Xcode 11

Level 4

I'm using the Dropbox Mac app v75.3.131

On macOS Mojave, I had Dropbox set up on two different Macs. My Xcode 10 projects would sync seamlessly over Dropbox such that if I made a change in an Xcode project on one computer, it would show up on the other computer almost instantly. Git would never choke when it came time to check things in, and the state between the two computers was beautifully identical. Kudos to Dropbox for pulling this off!

Now that I've been trying out macOS Catalina and Xcode 11, it has been much less reliable. slightly smiling face Dropbox frequently gets stuck syncing endlessly.

For example:

• Dropbox will say "Syncing 2 files..." for several hours and never resolve, and the other computer won't ever update.
  • It also gets stuck syncing *.appiconset folders (used within asset catalogs).

I recognize that I'm using beta software, so I just want to bring these issues to the attention of Dropbox so that hopefully they can get them fixed. slightly smiling face

Thanks!

4 Replies

Re: Dropbox Sync Issues on macOS Catalina (10.15) and Xcode 11

Dropboxer
Hey there @Clifton L.,

Yes, it seems like you are indeed using quite a few beta versions! Might I suggest using the most recent stable version of the Dropbox desktop app (beta version denoted with XXX.3.XXX ) to see if this helps at all while you are testing out the Mac OS beta?

Since the OS is still in beta it’s not a system we support yet, but hopefully in using the stable version you might see more consistency in syncing. To do this, you will need to toggle off “Early releases” from your Account Settings page here. Then simply download and install the recent stable version from here.

That being said, I’ll be happy to pass along your comments to our dev team for review.

Wishing you happy testing - Cheers! 

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

Level 4

Thank you, Daphne. I had no idea I was on a beta version of the Mac sync client. slightly smiling face I'll downgrade to the stable branch and see if things improve.

Thanks again!

Level 2

I just have one Mac, but running public beta catalina (10.15 beta), and dropbox v76.3.120. Dropbox terminates without comment about 15 minutes of starting, and stops syncing properly after the first batch of syncs when started. I know now (thanks to this and another thread) that Dropbox support knows the issue is there, and presumably when Catalina comes out of beta dropbox will be ready with a solution (unless it's completely apple's "fault" rather than a specific change). Anyway, I wanted to repeat the problem and also, here is a workaround: if dropbox is "gone" I just restart it and recently edited files sync. A few minutes later, clicking "Pause Syncing" and again a second or two later clicking "Resume syncing" causes it to sync another batch of updates. Repeat as needed. YMMV. Anyway, I'll be happy to discover an updated dropbox app that handles the problem ASAP without waiting for Apple. Thanks.

Dropboxer

Thanks a lot for your input here, I’m sure what you mentioned will be helpful for other users who are trying out Catalina on their devices! I’ve made sure to pass this along to our dev team also so thanks again. grinning face with smiling eyes

Hope you have a great start to the week - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Dropbox Sync Issues on macOS Catalina (10.15) and Xcode 11
4 Replies
3 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post