cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Unexpectedly Quit

Dropbox Unexpectedly Quit

SnowPenguin
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

For about a week now, I have been experiencing constant crashing of dropbox. When that happens, the message "Dropbox Quit Unexpectedly" appears. 

I already tried many of the common solutions suggested here, including the following:-

- Restarting the computer.

- Uninstalling then reinstalling Dropbox

- Unlinking then linking my account.

- Disabling any anti-virus I am running.

This issue has made Dropbox completely useless to me. I am now paying for a software I can't benefit from at all. It's happening in 3 computers at the very least. It's occuring in both Windows 7 & 10. 

The version I am using is 88.4.172. I tried upgrading to the beta version 89.3.272, but that didn't solve anything. 

I wish there could be a way I could revert back to an older version of Dropbox, but then it will automatically update to that cursed version.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Christophe4
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Drnil, 

We have exactly the same problem and this is not the first time this happens. Almost every 6 months, we need to desynch and resynch folder per folder. Dropbox assistance is just useless. We have dropbox business and 10 To bytes of storage. A bit more than 2millions of files that we want to keep... 

Instead of having problems of perfromances, it just does not work and crashes constantly. We are wasting our time and it takes more than week to fix everything... We are really considering stopping with DROPBOX because the problem is the memory usage. On two of our computers, Dropbox started to crash constantly wednesday night at the same time. Of course, Dropbox is to blame... They did something. When looking at the task manager of windows, the RAM usage is just building up non stop, until it reaches 3Gb and then crashes. Dropbox is still running under 32bit which can explain the problem. They should be ashamed of selling such a crap and not mentioning clearly the issue... Bad for them, we will go and see the competition, the only action we can take after such ineficiency. Good luck with this!!!! Me, I gave up.... 

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @SnowPenguin :penguin: - welcome to the Dropbox Family!

I'm sorry to hear about the crashes you've experienced lately when using our desktop app on your Windows machines and thanks for sharing all the troubleshooting you have done so far; I appreciate it. 

I'll be glad to look into it if you don't mind me using the email address that 's connected to reach out so please let me know if it's OK with you to do so. 

Apart from that, just out of curiosity, how many files do you happen to have stored in your account? 

I'm only asking because the performance of the Dropbox application starts to decline after reaching about 300,000 files and this might also lead to high CPU usage which in turn can lead to crashes. 

In any case, I'll be waiting for your response so I can help look into this further. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

SnowPenguin
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hello Walter,

Sure, I have no issue with you contacting me on that E-Mail address. 

I have over 500,000 files in my account, but that was never an issue. As I simply don't edit most of them, and things were working fine up until few days ago.

drnil
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I second SnowPenguin. I'm having more or less identical symptoms, noticing Dropbox starting to crash repeatedly around Saturday, same version (88.4.172), using Windows 10 Pro Build 18362. A large number of files but no major change of the file system.

drnil
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @SnowPenguin & @drnil - how are you today?

To expedite matters further at this point, I've found your existing tickets on our system and got back to you there. 

Whenever you get the chance, please take a look at your inbox for my message and we'll take it from there.

Thanks again for your patience and cooperation! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

SnowPenguin
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Hello there,

I am sorry to say, but you don't seem to understand my issue. I am not complaining about a decline in performance or anything close to that, but on how it keeps crashing since the last update. The number of files I have has nothing to do with the issue, as I clearly stated, as it was working completely fine just a few days ago. No major change in the number of files happened during that time.

The latest issue of Dropbox has an issue, something you are not willing to acknowledge for some reason. I looked at the community forum, and it looks like I am not the only one with this issue. 

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for your update on this @SnowPenguin; I appreciate your feeback too. 

I've reached out to both of you and it's worth mentioning that @drnil here told me that a clean, advanced re-install did the trick for them after all. 

If you'd like to give it a go, here's our dedicated guide: 

https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/advanced-reinstall 

In any case, I just got back to you via your ticket so you can take a look at your inbox too. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

drnil
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I hate to say this, but after the recent auto-update (in my case, 24. Jan) to version 89.4.278, Dropbox crashed again and this time, advanced reinstall does not fix the problem!

Reinstallation of Dropbox and fixing the mess of conflicting files is rather time-consuming and is becoming a serious hassle. Symptoms indicate that the automatic updates are a root cause. Wouldn't it be possible for Dropbox to keep a roll-back version until the new version is known to work?

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the report @drnil!

I've just found your ticket on our system and got back to you through that so we can look a tad deeper into your device's logs. 

Whenever you get the chance, please take a look at your inbox for my email and we'll take it from there. 

Talk to you soon via email and happy Monday!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Zenco Explorer | Level 4
    RobinPed New member | Level 2
    jetcaptain Helpful | Level 6
    DragoninNJ Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?