Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

Dropbox V74.4.115 not working (stays in starting or works then stops)

Level 5

I am also having trouble on both of my machines.  Before the "upgrade" dropbox worked flawlessly.  I didn't like having to pay the extra 20 a year, but was excited to get the ability to use Smart Sync.  

Well, the upgrade version of dropbox must not be near as robust as the lower version as I had before, as now all dropbox is an icon near my clock with a red 1 that says starting.

If this would have happened during my classes I would be devastated

and probably resulted in a bad grade.  Luckily this "upgrade" happen in the summer.  

I sure am not paying 120 a year for a extra icon and no access to my files.  If you are going to move everyone to this higher end dropbox, then fix it ASAP!!

14 Replies

Re: Dropbox V74.4.115 not working (stays in starting or works then stops)

Dropboxer
Hi there @Developer_UNIX

This is, however, a soft limit that depends highly on the hardware specifications of the computer running the app, with some users being able to sync more files without an issue.

Having said that, to improve the performance of your device, could you try using selective sync to deselect folders with the green icon to assist the syncing process?

Furthermore, you mention that:

@Developer_UNIX wrote:

now all dropbox is an icon near my clock with a red 1

Could you please send me a screenshot (without any personal info) of this so as to have a better visual understanding?

Let me know how it goes!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 5

Didn't meant to hit accepted solution.  Basically it just don't work anymore for me since this change.  I can't even selectively sync 2 folders.  It only puts half the folders in my one folder I selected.  I thought perhaps I could add them a little at a time with selective sync.

I been using dropbox for years without any major issues.  So its not like I don't know how to use it and what to expect.  This new version simple got bugs.  Why have smart sync if it can't handle many files as long time drop box subscribers are likely to have.  I thought that advantage would be fast transfer of your box, due to its not loading the entire fire.  

Dropboxer
Thanks for getting back to me, @Developer_UNIX - and no worries, I removed the solution for you. grinning face with smiling eyes

Smart Sync and selective sync are space saving features that help in the performance of the desktop app; whereas having more than 300,000 files syncing in your desktop app (although this is a soft limit) may result in a similar experience to what you’re describing.

What you could try is to reinstall the desktop app and before completing the process, choose some folders (by removing the tick from the settings) to selectively sync them. 

If that doesn’t do the trick, could you please check if there are any third-party apps that may be hindering your syncing, like an antivirus? Try temporarily disabling your antivirus, security program, or check that you have configured your firewall to work with Dropbox

Finally, could you by any chance be connecting through a work network? If you are, check with your company’s IT department, since there may be an update on your firewall settings or any other additional security measure placed which could be affecting your connection. 

If all this comes to a dead-end, don’t hesitate to let me know and send me a screenshot (without any personal info) of what the Dropbox icon reads when you click on it and/or of any error messages that you’re seeing. 

Let me know how it goes!

Lusil

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Level 5

I get same result on both computers.  Basically its not permission, as it starts to work.

Bascially, to get the error:

1. Smart Sync folders

2. Quite dropbox before its finished.  Shut down PC.

3. Start dropbox.

Here it should resume where it left of downloading the headers of my files.  But it stuck in starting.

Before the new dropbox (the version I had with no smart sync), it would resume where it left off and only stay in starting for maybe 5 mintues.

Clearly its a bug, or it wouldn't been able to do so well before it was shutdown.  I wrote a message to support.  

I have come to rely and depend on dropbox and the idea of the ability to use smartsync on certain folders, while keeping the entire file on others is great.  BUT its got to actually work.

Dropboxer
Thanks for the additional info, @Developer_UNIX! Definitely gives a better understanding of the behavior you’re experiencing. 

In order to have a more in-depth look on this, I'd recommend we move this discussion to email. As such, I was able to locate your ticket in our system and I can see that a member of my team has already replied to it. 

Please check your inbox for their latest message and don't hesitate to get back to them if you have any further queries or details for them - they more info they have, the better of an investigation they can do for you. 

Thanks in advance!

Lusil

Level 4

I have the same problem after update ( 2 PC....)

Dropbox-V74-4-115-not-working-stays-in-startin

Level 4

Re: Dropbox-V74-4-115-not-working-stays-in-startin

Dropboxer
Hey @zabakov1, sorry to hear that you’re also having trouble with this. 

As a first step, please ensured that you have the latest stable version installed (74.4.115) by hovering over your Dropbox icon. Bear in mind that a beta version can be recognized by a xx.3.xx, instead of the xx.4.xx, so if you’re on a beta build, it means that you have opted in to Early Releases in your online account settings.

If you have checked this out, as well as my previous reply referring to third party apps that could be blocking your startup process (such as an antivirus or a security program), I’d recommend continuing this investigation by email. 

For this reason, I was able to locate your ticket from my end and can see that it’s under review by a member of my team. I’ve made sure to let them know of your comments here and as soon as they have more info on the matter, they’ll get back to you via email - so please make sure to check your inbox for their next reply. 

Cheers!

Lusil

Re: Dropbox-V74-4-115-not-working-stays-in-startin

Level 5

I had a later version of dropbox.  I'm now trying to downgrade to 7.4.115.  I have early releases set to off on-line.  Mostly dropbox seems to update itself and has done so since the change(I think) to give me smart sync.

Does 7.4.115 have smart sync?

Turns out this version does havce smart sync.  Sure hope this fixes the problems.  I have seen version downgrades to fix problems work.  Sure hope this is one of them.

Hopefully this downgrade does the trick.  I really need access to my files.  Luckily this happened in the summer, or it would have ruined my college class.  So I do appreciate you guys making this change in the summer.

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Dropbox V74.4.115 not working (stays in starting or works then stops)
14 Replies
3 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post