cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

Dropbox Wont Install

New member | Level 1

Trying to install on Windows server. Gets about halfway throgh and fails. Then gives otion to install with different downloader. Try that one and it wont install either just says install failed and aborts

14 Replies

Re: Dropbox Wont Install

New member | Level 1

Check log files @ %AppData%\Dropbox\logs

Try offline installer at: https://www.dropbox.com/downloading?full=1&os=win

Can also try deleting %AppData%\Dropbox\ folder and any files that you can (files not in use) in %temp%.

Then try offline installer.

New member | Level 1

After making the deletions I was able to run the offline installer. However the bar moved completely from left to right then the box disappeared and nothing happened after that. Tried again and same result.

New member | Level 1

so glad to see im not alone on this - i have exactly same issue just says dropbox wasnt installed successfully

Highlighted

New member | Level 1

Which Windows Server?

32bit, 64bit?

BTW Windows Server is NOT officially supported. See: https://www.dropbox.com/en/help/3

Might need to delete all the files once again, reboot, and then try the offline installer.

New member | Level 1

It "appears" to have installed now although it did not take me through the usual setup. It is in the Programs area of the All Programs section. However when i click on the application to start the program nothing happens. Also the little icon is not in the lower right corner like it usually is.

New member | Level 1

Perhaps see what is really happening with Process Explorer (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx) and Process Monitor (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645).

Using these two tools you can see what the dropbox exe really does when you try and run it.

I won't be surprised at all if the tools show bad registry permissions and or file permissions.

Plenty of resources out there to show you how to use both Microsft tools from above. slightly smiling face

Pretty simple really. Sure you can figure out just by playing around with it. At least I would hope so, seeing as you are running Windows Server. I assume you have some experience with this?

New member | Level 1

Looking at the process monitor looks like I am getting a lot of HKCU\Software\Python\PythonCore\Dropbox\Modules\urllib NAME NOT FOUND type errors. Is that my issue and if so how do I fix?

New member | Level 1

I am also getting NOT A DIRECTORY for C:\Users*****\AppData\Roaming\Dropbox\bin\Dropbox.exe

New member | Level 1

"Name not found" and "not a directory" is no big deal. Means nothing really.

You're looking for something like "access denied".

Can can try deleting all dropbox registry keys as well.

Really easy to search registry using RegScanner @ www.nirsoft.net/utils/regscanner.html

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Dropbox Wont Install
14 Replies
2 Likes
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey