cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox app android won't upload till app is opened

Dropbox app android won't upload till app is opened

Paul K.11
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hello,

With my samsung S9 running on android 8.0.0 my dropbox app only uploads the pictures when I open the app.

Before it was uploading always.

53 Replies 53

ScoutCommander
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have a Samsung Galaxy S9 and I think I just figured it out:

Settings

Device Care

Battery

Power Mode

Switched from "Medium Power Saving" to "Optimized" and it seems to work again.  I took a photo and turned the screen off and it uploaded with no problem.

RichSmy
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
That worked for me, thanks it was the medium power saving mode which stopped it. Just another 180 photos to upload 😞

uscpsycho
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have the exact same problem and I am already in optimized mode and have checked all the above recommendations. 

In my case, I tap the share icon from an app and then selected "add to dropbox". And then I select the location I want the file to save in dropbox. Then in my notifications panel I see a progress bar showing the uplaod status. Everything sounds good so far, right?

Well that's where it stalls. The progress bar never makes any progress and the files never get to Dropbox. This is intermittent. Sometimes the files are successfully uploaded but many times it just hangs. 

Any other suggestions?

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Sorry to hear about this @uscpsycho.

How large is the file in question and what app are you using to import it to Dropbox? Do you have the quota needed to accommodate the said file(s)? 

Spoiler

You can view your current quota usage on the following page:

https://www.dropbox.com/account/plan

Can you try this out on a different network and/or over cellular data and let me know if the behavior is the same?

Could you also forward me a screenshot of the problem as shown on your device? 

Any additional information will be much appreciated!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Jeremy M.10
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Walter, in February you wrote:
"Now, in regards to the matter at hand, kindly note that if you’re manually uploading files using the “+” (plus) button, uploads will only run while the app is in the foreground (in other words, it’s the app you’re actively looking at)."

I've tried all the battery settings I can find (stock s9+ with updates turned on), but no change. The file I'm uploading (over wifi) is under 300mb and I have plenty of quota space.

Why is this? I cannot think of a scenario where I would *not* want files to sync in the background. Ive got a slow connection (only about 0.75mbps upstream). I don't want to wait around staring at the Dropbox app for an hour while I upload a video or a scanned document that I want to share.

Is there any way to fix this? It's really annoying.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Jeremy M.10

From what I understand, you're trying to manually upload a file through your mobile app, but it's being added slowly, is that right?

As a first step, could you please clarify if you've tried connecting to a different WiFi connection? Do you see a change in behavior when enabling cellular data by any chance? 

Any additional info and screenshots (without any personal info) illustrating what you're seeing would be very helpful so as to have a better understanding of your concern. 

Thanks in advance!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Clarence D.
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
I had this problem on a Samsung S8.
I think it started with the update to Android 9, but I'm not certain. It used to work.

I moved to a Pixel 3 with Android 10, and I'm not having the problem.

It might have started after I enabled the battery optimization, but I was careful to have it set to not affect Dropbox, even cycling it in and off for Dropbox.

I rarely open the app on Android, except to give photos a bump. I think it was uploading photos eventually, just not soon. Maybe it only uploaded while the phone was unlocked?

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Clarence D.

Welcome to the Dropbox Community - let's see what we can do here. 

Initially, thanks for checking your battery optimization settings! 

Could you also have a look and see if you experience the same behavior when you have cellular data on with and without a WiFi connection?

Could you give a different WiFi network a try too? 

Let me know what you find!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Rick G.20
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Galaxy note 10 having this issue both on wifi and data connection. Pictures seem to upload find but video and audio files start to upload and then within a few seconds it stops.  😞 this seem to have started after the most recent update. 

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hmm. :thinking: Could you try toggling the option for uploading videos? Maybe that will do the trick.

To do this: 

• Open the mobile app.
  • Tap the menu.
  • Select Settings.
  • Under Camera Uploads, toggle the option Upload video off and on again. 

Let me know if this helps, @Rick G.20!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

ScottMB Explorer | Level 3
    Daphne Dropbox Staff
    Caffeine New member | Level 2
    Lusil Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?