cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox app android won't upload till app is opened

Dropbox app android won't upload till app is opened

Paul K.11
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hello,

With my samsung S9 running on android 8.0.0 my dropbox app only uploads the pictures when I open the app.

Before it was uploading always.

53 Replies 53

Rick G.20
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Won't this automatically upload everything to the camera uploads folder then?  I had this feature off for over a year so I can manually upload only the items I wanted in the folder that I chose.  I do not want everything automatically uploaded but if that is the only fix for now then I guess I will turn it back on.  Please advise if the recent app upload changed something here because automatic camera uploads has been off for a year and working fine by manually uploading what I want and where I want.  Please advise. Thank you

Rick G.20
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

@Lusil I turned that camera uploads back on and that did not do the trick.  Not sure what is happening but must have something to do with the latest app update so could you please have the developers check into this?  Thank you for your time. 

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the swift reply and apologies for the misunderstanding, @Rick G.20:disappointed_relieved:

I've followed up with a ticket to the email address connected to your Community profile so that we can have a better look into this matter. 

When you have the chance, please check your inbox for my latest message and we'll take it from there. 

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

DLCPhoto
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have had this same problem with a Verizon Samsung Note 8, for as long as I can recall.  Extremely annoying, and defeats the purpose of having an App like this.

I am pretty adept at trouble-shooting issues like this, and so already had checked, disabled, re-enabled, etc.:

Battery set to Optimized, then set to High Performance

Verfied that App is *not* set to be Optimized

Verified that App is *not* set to be put to sleep

Dropbox account is perhaps 10% full, and files are the usual jpg's from the Camera, so in the 2mb to 3mb range

Camera Uploads set to upload Photos and Video, disabled, re-enabled, as long as battery is over 10%.

Solid home network using an enterprise grade Araknis Mesh Network, with the problem also present with my prior Asus Router.

Despite all of this, 98% of the time it won't upload my photos until I manually open the Dropbox App on my Note 8.

This is frustrating enough that I will be actively looking for other options if it can't be solved.  I've used Dropbox for many, many years, but when basic functionality isn't there, what's the point?

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @DLCPhoto, thanks for nudging us here and for the detailed post - definitely helps narrow down our investigation. 

I'd be more than happy to look a bit more in-depth on this, so I've sent you a ticket to the address connected to your Community profile. 

Don't hesitate to reply to me there and I'll make sure to get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Paul K.11
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

This is exactly the same problem what I have.

I already gave up, but still following this thread. 

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @Lusil,

I'm not sure how exactly your application perform service related actions, but if the said in @Walter's post is true, not just some "words" (unintentional error), seems your developmet have reached next fault (as a basic idea - not just typing error). The background services was never guaranteed to run while not used in some active application!!! Recently, they almost mandatory go freezed soon after application detach/unbind (around 10s). Using "Background service" for such job is (softly said) stupid. Possible drawback of such inappropriate use exactly match the "symptoms" described in current thread. There are other services and service-like methods for such jobs (much more appropriate). Pay attention on the Note, below "Background"!

Let's hope your development will learn something new :nerd: (after forward this post). :wink:

DLCPhoto
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I think I may have fixed this, although I'm not 100% certain what did it.  Many settings were disabled and then re-enabled and so forth, but at the moment, Dropbox is consistently uploading my photos to my account.

I think the most pertinent settings are in the Battery...Settings... section, and the most important ones to check there are:

1.  Adaptive Battery - make sure this is turned off

2. Put unused apps to sleep - make sure this is turned off

3. Sleeping Apps - make sure Dropbox is not in this list

4. Auto disable unused apps - make sure this is turned off

5. Disabled apps - make sure Dropbox is not in this list

Also check the Dropbox App Permissions, to make sure that it is enabled for:
Cameras
Contacts
Storage

Also check on the overall Power Mode, which could be a factor if too much power savings is being enabled.

I'm hoping mine is fixed for good, but only time will tell.

And I wil give props to Dropbox support, as they did contact me by email, and followed up to my replies and so forth.

alexdroppingbox
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I have this issue. I have checked all the settings in this thread but still only get images uploading when i open the app and go to the photo tab.

I have a samsung S9, running latest version

Thank. Alex

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @alexdroppingbox, thanks for nudging us on this thread. 

I just want to make sure that we've covered most initial troubleshooting, since you also mention that you've checked all previous notes on the thread. For example, have you:

• Tried reinstalling the Dropbox mobile app?
  • Confirmed that Background Uploading is on from the Dropbox mobile app's Camera Upload settings?
  • Enabled cellular data with and without being connected to WiFi?

Let me know how it goes!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

ScottMB Explorer | Level 3
    Daphne Dropbox Staff
    Caffeine New member | Level 2
    Lusil Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?