Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Dropbox app constantly loads and crashes after Mojave 10.14.6 update

Explorer | Level 3

I installed the Mojave 10.14.6 update yesterday and when I restarted my computer, my Dropbox app kept loading and then crashing and was using a lot of CPU. The only way to stop this process was to quit the Dropbox app in my Activity Monitor. 

I also tried uninstalling the Dropbox app, but when I went to reinstall it, the .dmg file wouldn't mount. I uninstalled my Norton, thinking that I might have a firewall issue, but that didn't fix it. When I downloaded Norton again, it installed just fine - so it was just an issue with installing the Dropbox app. 

I then restored my timemachine to before I uninstalled my Dropbox app, so I have it back on my computer, but now I'm at square one. I have tried turning on and off my smart sync, but neither helps. Looks like there are 600 files that need to be synced, but the app quits ~every 30 seconds and reloads. 

I have plenty of storage space in my Buisnes Dropbox account and on my hard drive. 

Any suggestions? 

7 Replies

Re: Dropbox app constantly loads and crashes after Mojave 10.14.6 update

Dropboxer

Hey there @gsimon,

As a first step, can you try just restarting your computer to refresh the File Explorer and the Dropbox app to see if that does the trick?

If not, can you let me know which version of the desktop app you have installed on your computer?

Also, please check if you have any symlinks within the Dropbox folder that could be causing this. You can find the steps on how to check for symlinks from this article here (point 7).

Let me know what you find and we can go from there - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Daphne, 

I must have restarted my computer about 50 times between yesterday adn today. I just tried again, and it did not help. 

I am using the Dropbox desktop app version 80.3.110. 

I do not believe I have any symlinks. I followed step 7 several times and the terminal didn't tell me I had any. 

Any other suggestions would be helpful! 

Dropboxer

Hey @gsimon,

So it seems you have a beta version of the desktop app installed on your computer. I'd suggest downgrading to the latest stable version might do the trick!

You'll need to go to your account settings page here, and toggle off the option for "Early Releases" from the bottom of the web page.

Then you can download the latest stable version from here and run the installer to complete the process. Just to note, you don't need to uninstall the software you have currently so don't worry about that.

Let me know how it goes - Thanks!

Daphne

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Explorer | Level 3

Hi - I've turned off the "early releases" option and tried downloading again. The .dmg package will download, but the installer won't open. I've tried this mulitple times yesterday and today, and it never works. When I reinstalled my Norton, that .dmg file opened and worked, but it seems to only be an issue with the Dropbox installer. 

Dropboxer

Hey @gsimon,

If you weren't able to install the stable version then first I would recommend to try disabling Norton temporarily just in case it's blocking the installation.

If this doesn't allow you to run the installer then can you let me know if you're getting a specific error message? A screenshot (excluding personal info) of the error would be appreciated.

Let me know what you find - Thanks!

Daphne

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Daphne,

I have uninstalled Norton completely and still no luck. 

I never get an error message when I try to open the installer. I can download the .dmg file, but it doesn't open. This is as far as I can get: 

Screen Shot 2019-08-20 at 10.34.18 AM.png

But when I click "open" the file will just disapear and I get this screen: 

Screen Shot 2019-08-20 at 10.34.41 AM.png

The main issue is that my desktop app keeps loading and crashing, so I also have a screenshot below to show you what I mean. It will load this far, start to sync for just a split second, and then the dropbox app icon on the top toolbar will disapear and the app will automatically restart. 

Screen Shot 2019-08-20 at 10.29.04 AM.png

Below you will see that the there are many, many Dropbox processes running and the number of them keeps building unless I "force quit" them through this Activity Monitor. Once I force quit all of them, the issue stops, but then I also cannot use the app. When I open the app, the issue starts all over again.  

Screen Shot 2019-08-20 at 10.30.43 AM.png

Any additional thoughts would be great. Thanks! 

Dropboxer
Hey @gsimon, thanks for pinging us back here on this matter; let me further advise from where you've left off with Daphne!

I’m wondering if you’re using an application called Boxifier by any chance that could be blocking our updates; please let me know here if that’s the case. Because it seems that our desktop application fails to launch, then this probably means that the initial installation hasn’t been carried correctly or there’s something blocking it from running as it should. 

If it’s not too much trouble for you, could you give our latest Offline installer (79.4.143) a go after disabling your Antivirus/Firewall? Please reference the steps outlined below to get going with that on your Mac:

More information
  • Stop Dropbox(ifneeded) by clicking the Dropbox icon in the menu bar on the top of your screen. >Click on your profile picture or initials to the right of the search bar and select 'Quit Dropbox'
  • Delete the Dropbox application from the Applications folder. You may need to provide your computer password in order to perform this action. 
  • Reinstall the Dropbox desktop application following these steps:
  • Open the Dropbox .dmg file and double click the Dropbox icon. Dropbox should appear in your menu bar.
Nonetheless, if this doesn't remedy this issue, please let us know here & either myself or Daphne will make sure to reach out to you directly, so as to check back on the info we have on my tools. Thanks!

Jane

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Dropbox app constantly loads and crashes after Mojave 10.14.6 update
7 Replies
0 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post