cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox app for Android causing high battery usage

Dropbox app for Android causing high battery usage

AntonioC
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi there, I’m Antonio, a member of the Dropbox Mobile team. We’ve discovered an incompatibility issue between Dropbox’s app and Android OS that led to higher-than-normal battery usage on Android phones.

We’ve fixed the issue, and the app should return to normal functionality after restarting it. 

To restart the app:
  • On your device, open the Settings app and select Application Manager
  • Switch to the Running tab to view your active apps
  • Tap the Dropbox app and select Stop
  • Re-launch the Dropbox app from your home screen

If you’ve restarted the app and are still seeing higher-than-normal battery usage, please reply to this thread, and we’ll take a look.
101 Replies 101

LaurensBE
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Im having the same problem. Since last update dropbox consumes 8-10% battery and i can't seem to fix it... Greenify cant hibernate the app either, since it has "running processes" so it must have some kind of process in the background that is looping.

Im on Galaxy s8 - android 7.0

Im considering removing the app althogether, since it feels more then just 10% battery drain...

please fix this 😄

UPDATE: temporary solution is rolling back to a previous version here:
https://www.androidapksfree.com/apk/dropbox-apk-latest-version-download/

- I went back to 66.2.2 and problems are gone
- you need to manually remove your current version before you can install the roll-back
- Don't forget to disable auto-update for dropbox in play store

herrapa
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Having the same issue, really annoing!

Htc 10, Android 7.0

Dropbox 70.2.4

Using camera upload, but have it set to Wi-Fi only, and only when charging. No difference if these settings are changed though. 

2017-11-06 18.41.01.png2017-11-06 18.40.43.png2017-11-06 18.40.37.png

doug4b
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am also having huge battery drain from Dropbox resulting from lots of wakelock time. Dropbox 70.2.4 on a Galaxy S7 Edge. The battery historian data below show that it's coming from the upload service. I tried changing the upload setting to "only while charging" a couple days ago, but it doesn't seem to have helped.

dropbox.png

fabiovilan
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

I´ve detected the very same problem. Using a5-2016 Android 7.0, greenify is almost always showing it as "running" and betterbatterysstats shows the wakelock. Dropbox 70.2.4

(Better Battery Stats - Partial Wakelocks)

*job*/com.dropbox.android/.camerauploads.CameraUploadsScanAndUploadJobService

Please fix this ASAP as it´s eating up all my battery. Thanks.

Lkwdvm2010
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
This up until past couple weeks was fine. I also have camera uploads for charging only. For the past few weeks dropbox has been using more than 10% and up to 20% of my battery. Dropbox version 72.2.2 Android is version 7.0. I am becoming very frustrated with whatever changed recently. I have had the Dropbox app for years (1 year on android and had iOS before that) and never had issues previously

fabiovilan
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Following up my previous post...

Tried the latest dropbox beta (as of today, 73.1.2) and the problem remained.

Tried to downgrade to 66.2.2  (as LaurensBE recommended in a previous post) but the problem also remained for me.

So I tried to downgrade 62.2.4 and finnaly everything works 110% ok, no wakelocks at all from dropbox. No problems whatsoever so far. Will keep running this version until a definitive fix from dropbox developers.

Obs: Running Samsung A5-2016, Android 7 latest stock version from samsung, non-rooted. Using greenify and BetterBatteryStats (with ADB to enable additional information without root).

Oula
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
I downgraded to 64.2.2 and this works fine. No battery drain whatsoever. Any newer version introduces the problem.

I have Huawei Mate 9 with Android 7.0

fabiovilan
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

@Oula wrote:
I downgraded to 64.2.2 and this works fine. No battery drain whatsoever. Any newer version introduces the problem.

I have Huawei Mate 9 with Android 7.0

Thanks, I went directly from 66.2.2 to 62.2.4, never tried 64.2.2

UPDATE: 64.2.2 is working fine. So far this is the highest (newest) version working for me without problems.

That information should help dropbox developers identify the problem (diff in source code)

Peter_B171
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Same problem here. I have Samsung Note 8 - all updates installes.

but for me, downgrading did not work. 

That is strange, because i have two devices of that note 8. One has no problem. the other is kept wake by Dropbox.

Cant solve it.

I tried to force the app to stop. That works only for a few minutes to 1-2 hours.

No i uninstalled dropbox to solve the issue 😞

** Sorry for that bad english, it is not my native language.

Ed
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi all

I heard back from our dev team - they're working on a fix for that. Meanwhile, the suggestion is to use the beta version of the app to check if this improves.

I'll keep you guys updated on progress!

Ed G
Community Manager @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Need more support?