cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox app for Android causing high battery usage

Dropbox app for Android causing high battery usage

AntonioC
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi there, I’m Antonio, a member of the Dropbox Mobile team. We’ve discovered an incompatibility issue between Dropbox’s app and Android OS that led to higher-than-normal battery usage on Android phones.

We’ve fixed the issue, and the app should return to normal functionality after restarting it. 

To restart the app:
  • On your device, open the Settings app and select Application Manager
  • Switch to the Running tab to view your active apps
  • Tap the Dropbox app and select Stop
  • Re-launch the Dropbox app from your home screen

If you’ve restarted the app and are still seeing higher-than-normal battery usage, please reply to this thread, and we’ll take a look.
101 Replies 101

bmotorsports
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Pixel XL I just got this past week.

Dropbox version 72.2.2
Android 8.0.0

I've made background activity limited through Android battery settings.

Dropbox is soaking ~4x the battery of any other application purely while operating in the background. 27% on my last battery cycle. Unbelievably bad.

Camera uploads are on and this is a feature I'd like to keep. I don't need this this app to poll by the millisecond, seems there is some problem here or some setting options need to be offered to change the background activity level. 

2017-11-14 23.37.19.png

megawhite
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

My versions are listed above.

I checked my battery usage list and Dropbox does not even appear let alone show any drain.  I also have camera uploads enabled, photos and videos, Wi-Fi only, when battery level is greater than 40%.  Sync contacts unchecked.

Try clearing the cache from the Dropbox settings menu?  That should not affect operation.

I wonder if there is any functionality related to the draining that is not active on my older Android 5.0 phone.

bmotorsports
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Dropbox seems to be aware of the issue and keeps releasing new BETA versions that don't resolve the problem. 

There is another thread where they are covering the issue with much more detail:

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Mobile/Dropbox-app-for-Android-causing-high-battery-usage/td-p/22922...

The current suggestion to roll back to a much older version is the only effective solution at the moment (from the other thread, the commenter is fabiovilan😞

"Just uninstall your current version and download the latest 100% working version (64.2.2) from:

https://www.androidapksfree.com/apk/dropbox-64-2-2-6420200-apk-download/

You will need to allow to install from unknown sources and, after install, disable auto-update in google play. Other than that everything will work fine until a official fix that should take some time.

PS: I don´t work for dropbox, just another user with the very same issue."

Ya done messed up Dropbox! Get more of your team and escalate this issue ASAP, this is affecting users on my multi-person Team account and is a CRITICAL BUG.

bmotorsports
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Ya done messed up Dropbox! Get more of your dev team on this and escalate this issue ASAP, this is affecting users on my multi-person Team account and is a CRITICAL BUG.

From a Pixel XL

Android 8.0.0

Dropbox 72.2.2

2017-11-14 23.37.19.png

megawhite
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

It's beyond me how long this can go on for.  There should be a team of people on this 24/7 until fixed due to the consequences and inconvenience of the bug experienced by so many people!  Get a grip Dropbox.

Lkwdvm2010
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Dropbox is killing my battery too 😞 i have just reverted to lower version.  I hope this will be resolved soon.  It is ridiculous for dropbox with everything turned off taking 20% of battery

fabiovilan
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

@megawhite wrote:

I wonder if there is any functionality related to the draining that is not active on my older Android 5.0 phone.

Peharps...  I´ll summarize everything here to help dropbox developers pinpoint the problem.

Camera Upload is ON, What to upload "photos and videos", When to upload "only while charging". All notifications disabled, sync contacts disabled,

I tried uninstalling and installing thousands of times, cleared the cache, app data, everything you can imagine. I have been using this feature for years and no wakelock even happened before.

And NO, this is NOT dropbox working as intended, it is NOT uploading anything, all pictures have been synced when charging, after I take it off the charger it just starts the wakelock... Even after a reset the wakelock returns after some time. There is nothing to upload, and even if there were, it is NOT charging, so why is it running (wakelock) and preventing the phone to go to deep sleep ?

Latest dropbox version working without problem: 64.2.2 . Any newer version (from 66.2.2 to beta 74.1. 8 ) has the BUG. Dropbox developers should be able to see what changed diffing the code.

BetterBatteryStats show the Partial wakelock on 

*job*/com.dropbox.android/.camerauploads.CameraUploadsScanAndUploadJobService

yes.jpg

Obs: Running Samsung A5-2016, Android 7 latest stock version from samsung, non-rooted. Using greenify and BetterBatteryStats (with ADB to enable additional information without root).

If you need any additional info, just ask !

fabiovilan
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution
Read my post above...

Peter_B171
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Just want to give an update: 

Signed up for Beta... Currently, Ver. 74.1.8 installed. - Problem remains

Peter_B171
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
75.1.4 - better, but still wakelock. 10-15% battery per day without use of App.
My Note 8 remains in CPU state 433 MHz when turned off. No deep sleep (checked with CPU spy)

As soon as i force the app to quit or i uninstall it, deep sleep works again.
Need more support?