cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Betreff: Dropbox app for Android causing high battery usage

Dropbox app for Android causing high battery usage

AntonioC
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi there, I’m Antonio, a member of the Dropbox Mobile team. We’ve discovered an incompatibility issue between Dropbox’s app and Android OS that led to higher-than-normal battery usage on Android phones.

We’ve fixed the issue, and the app should return to normal functionality after restarting it. 

To restart the app:
  • On your device, open the Settings app and select Application Manager
  • Switch to the Running tab to view your active apps
  • Tap the Dropbox app and select Stop
  • Re-launch the Dropbox app from your home screen

If you’ve restarted the app and are still seeing higher-than-normal battery usage, please reply to this thread, and we’ll take a look.
101 Replies 101

Ed
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
yeah defo - please let me know either later today or tomorrow on how things are going.

Cheers

Ed G
Community Manager @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

fabiovilan
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Just tried 76.1.6 beta and the problem REMAINS=... Wakelock still present, see the BetterBatteryStats screen below:

After that went back, AGAIN, to 64.2.2, the latest working version so far... Peharps I should give up trying new betas and stay 64.2.2 for a thousand years...

Wakelock remains in 76.1.6Wakelock remains in 76.1.6Dropbox 76.1.6 runningDropbox 76.1.6 runningMy camera upload optionsMy camera upload options

fabiovilan
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

After trying 76.1.6 beta went back, AGAIN, to 64.2.2, the latest working version so far... Peharps I should give up trying new betas and stay 64.2.2 for a thousand years...

orenfl
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Weirdest, since I suffered from that phenomenon myself up until this beta where suddenly all is good...

fabiovilan
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

@orenfl wrote:
Weirdest, since I suffered from that phenomenon myself up until this beta where suddenly all is good...

Did you take any photos after using the new 76.1.6 beta ? Was it uploaded to your dropbox ? peharps you didn´t trigger the camera upload function and, as so, the wakelock was never started. Or perhaps your upload options are different and they fixed just for your specific situation (see my screenshots above for my camera upload options)

The point is, wakelock is still present in 76.1.6... 

weilhuiz
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @faviovilan,

Thanks for being patient with us. May I ask you to try the 76.1.6 again but this time with the setting "When to upload" equals to "Battery level is greater than 30%"? Please let us know if things improve.

Also, please make sure there are no stats showing in the BetterBatteryStats before running the new version. Thanks.

JoakimT
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Have been running 76.1.6 all day and battery usage seems to be back to below 1% now.

Will keep you posted but it looks promising.

fabiovilan
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

@weilhuiz wrote:
@HI @faviovilan,

Thanks for being patient with us. May I ask you to try the 76.1.6 again but this time with the setting "When to upload" equals to "Battery level is greater than 30%"? Please let us know if things improve.

Also, please make sure there are no stats showing in the BetterBatteryStats before running the new version. Thanks.

Hi weilhuiz, just to make sure I uninstalled my previous working version (64.2.2) again and did a clean install of 76.1.6 beta...

After logging in, just enabled camera upload and the default option is "greater than 30%". Took some pictures and it uploaded fine, disabled screen and deep sleep worked fine, no wakelocks at all (checked in BetterBatteryStats). So everything is fine so far.

After the previous test I changed the option back to camera upload "only while charging", took some photos and disabled screen. After a few moments opened it again and checked on BBS and wakelock is BACK, phone is unabled to go to deep sleep. (exact reaction as my previous post above)

Just to make sure, went back to "greater than 30%" and the wakelock is gone again.

Just to confirm again, went back to "only while charging" and the wakelock is BACK.

UPDATE: It seems the wakelock happens only when there are pictures to upload in "only while carging". When that happens I receive the following msg in notification: "charge yout device to resume". (the very same msg that is shown in 64.2.2, but somehow in those new versions it doesn´t allow the phone to go to deep sleep because of the wakelock)

So, at least, we now pinpointed the exact problem that remains in 76.1.6, the wakelock appears when "only while charging" is set on "when to upload" and when there are pictures waiting to be uploaded. (waiting for charging to begin upload)

fabiovilan
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Just a follow up from my previous post above with additional information.... (*adittional tests using 76.1.6 beta*)

My phone is now with 70% of battery, changed the "when to upload" to "battery level is greater than 75%", took some pictures, turned the screen off and the wake lock is BACK.

So... after all test the wakelock is happening in 76.1.6 beta in any situation that there is some pictures waiting to be uploaded and dropbox is waiting to upload later for any reason, it doesn´t matter if it´s "only while charging" or if it is a threshold of battery (above X% and actual battery level is below X %). I suggest developers to diff the code change that happened after 64.2.2.

So I believe people reporting that the wakelock has been fixed are trying it with the "above 30% battery" and are obvioly trying that when the mobile phone battery is above 30%, so dropbox is uploading the pictures and, after that, no wakelock happens. The wakelock is only happening, at leas in 76.1.6, when there is some pictures waiting to be upload later for any reason. If the upload happens, the wakelock doesn´t appear.

weilhuiz
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi faviovilan,

Thanks for the follow-up, I will investigate the remaining issue and get back to you.

UPDATE: An additional fix has been submitted, it will be in the next beta version. Will follow up with the version number when it's available.

Need more support?