cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Takes several minutes to open a folder inside the Dropbox directory

Dropbox app freezing Windows Explorer

OscarV
Explorer | Level 4

Hi!

I'm having troubles with the Dropbox desktop app. It is syncing correctly, and I can access it just fine through my Windows Explorer, but after selecting a file it crashes my Explorer.

I have tried several fixes, including making an exception for Dropbox in my Virusscanner and checking Firewall Issues. Also tried re-installing it (several times). 

Can you suggest an alternative fix?

Kind regards,

Oscar

114 Replies 114

Spikemasta
Explorer | Level 3

I tried that before contacting support and it did not work. Replied to say this on email and happy to try the next steps if any are known. 

joaomarquesfran
Helpful | Level 5

So i finnaly solved the problem. After creating a new user account and realizing that everything worked fine on that i concluded that the issue was with the file explorer itself. 

After contacting Microsoft we realized that some of file explorer files were corrupted.

SOLUTION: Create a new user with administrator rights and make that your primary account. Do not waste time trying anything else because i done it all.

LTR
Explorer | Level 4

It takes several minutes to open a folder inside the Dropbox directory with Windows 10 File Explorer. But this won't happen to folders outside the Dropbox directory. This doesn't happen when I use the Dropbox GUI application either. Everything has been synced. If I uninstall Dropbox, then these folders can be opened immediately as normal folders on my computer. I have reinstalled Dropbox and restarted for several times, it just doesn't help. Any suggestions? Thanks! I have been tortured by this issue for several days.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi @LTR; welcome aboard and sorry this had to be your first in our Community!

As your inquiry echoed some similar reports we got lately, I moved your post under this thread so as to ping you with some suggestions.

Can you take a look at this discussion and let me know if anything helped in your case? 

Thanks a bunch! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

LTR
Explorer | Level 4

@Walter wrote:

Hi @LTR; welcome aboard and sorry this had to be your first in our Community!

As your inquiry echoed some similar reports we got lately, I moved your post under this thread so as to ping you with some suggestions.

Can you take a look at this discussion and let me know if anything helped in your case? 

Thanks a bunch! 

Hi @Walter, thanks for pointing me to this thread. I am having similar issues as them. However, after I tried all the solutions mentioned previously, none of them works for me. Could you please check into my account? Thanks for your time.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Sure thing @LTR!

I just sent you a brief message to your Dropbox associated email address so we can work on this internally.

Whenever you get the chance please take a look at your inbox and we'll take it from there. 

Thanks! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

SteveGSantaFe
Explorer | Level 4

Would anyone who has been moved to private converstations about this problem with support or others please continue to update this thread?? 

I personally have been in touch with support for several months and they keep trying to blame it on other software even though every other cloud storage service I've tried works fine.  I've done every trouble shooting step that I've been able to do with no luck or no indication that they have anymore insight into the problem -- in spite of the apparently large number of occurances.  They just seem to be flailing around and trying anything until you either get tired of it, give up, stumble into a solution (even a blind squirel finds a nut on occassion), or find something you can't do for them and them say "sorry".  

I am appalled at the lack of understanding of this issue and lack of guidance after so many people and so many months of problems.

JHR1
Helpful | Level 6

My wife is running Dropbox on Windows 10, and in the last 24 hours, she has run into serious problems when trying to use Windows Explorer with any DropBox folder and/or file. We've been on DropBox chat twice, we've uninstalled and reinstalled the desktop client. The last person from DB we spoke to indicated that if the uninstall/reinstall didn't work - it was Microsoft's problem.  This cannot be the case for the following reasons:

1) It doesn't affect any files/folders on the computer other than Dropbox. 

2) We don't have the problem accessing Dropbox folders/files through the desktop client.

3) This problem seems to be very prevalent, as can be seen from searching the Community Bulletin Board.

Is there a legitemate solution for this problem?

SteveGSantaFe
Explorer | Level 4

Nope. There seems to be no real help from Dropbox.  I've tried everything they've suggested for 3-4 months to troubleshoot and it all seems to be delay tactics until they can point the finger elsewhere.  I'm moving to google sync which works just fine. 

some people have had luck with one off fixes but don't hold your breath

JHR1
Helpful | Level 6

We've noted that several clients have been issued a trouble ticket and then they 'fall off' this chat - so there's no way of knowing whether any of them get resolved.

My wife has a ticket number that she's trying to escalate to a higher level of technical support. The folks available on chat are simply working from a script that (as you have aptly indicated) doesn't resolve the problem.

Our problem is that we have 5-6 people who are sharing the files - so we would have to move everyone to a different file synch platform.

Need more support?