cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox app on Mac not responding

Dropbox app on Mac not responding

msalem29
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I am on Mac High Sierra 10.13.3, upgraded last week. Post the upgrade, Dropbox refuses to Sync. Been using Dropbox on this Mac for the last 5 yrs but never had this problem.

Even the Dropbox icon has vanished from Taskbar. I can see my Dropbox folder on Finder, which has all the last sync files from last week.

When I try to launch the app through Finder -> Applications -> Double Click on Dropbox, still nothing happens. 

Dropbox icon in Launchpad is unresponsive. Clicking on it takes me back to my last used screen on the mac.

Uninstalled and tried offline installer 44.4.58 - No result, not even sure if the installation completed or not.

Have gone through various posts on this forum and tried different fixes. Nothing worked yet.

HELP ME !

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

msalem29
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

OK...update

In addition to Dropbox not syncing, i had also lost ability to copy/paste as well. So while trying to search a fix for that problem, it seemed to have fixed by Dropbox issue as well.

All I had to do was type "sudo update_dyld_shared_cache" through Terminal. 

And restart.

Everything works fine now. Don't ask me how it happened.  

Cheers.

View solution in original post

18 Replies 18

JoeyRox
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

When i upgraded my OS a while back i had to re-sync my dropbox, i went to the dropbox icon in the menu bar of the OS, then clicked the cog for settings, then preferences, then account, then unlink, then i closed out of dropbox then re-installed the installer, installed the dropbox app, signed in, then went to the icon at the top menu bar, then to preferences again, and then to sync, and re-selected the folders i wanted to sync and everything came back! 

msalem29
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Unfortunately, even the Dropbox icon on my taskbar has vanished. Except the Dropbox folder on Finder where all my files still reside (thankfully!), there is no sign of life from Dropbox on my machine.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey msalem29, thanks for posting on the Dropbox Community on this syncing issue, let me send over some steps below & we’ll take it from there, based on the results you’ll get! 

As an initial point of reference, can you have a look at your Activity Monitor & see if Dropbox is actively running? Following, I’d suggest checking on the files within the Dropbox folder & see if there are any icons indicating syncing :arrows_counterclockwise:/ :white_check_mark:.

Based on your description, it seems as if something is blocking the updater in the background, hence the app isn’t automatically loading the latest version. If you can’t run the installer (your Antivirus or some security software is creating a conflict, that’s preventing the installation from being carried perhaps?), could you disable all other programs & give our offline installer a try? 

Additionally, I’d like to ask you whether you’re using an application called Boxifier”. If you do, please let me know in your reply, since it may be the cause of the issue.

Keep me updated on the results here & I’ll do my best to follow-up with you. Thanks & I’ll be awaiting your next message!  

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

msalem29
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi Jane,

Checked Activity Monitor -> Only "Dropbox Finder Integration" is running. 

Checked Dropbox folder -> Does not have any syncing icons.

No, I don't use Boxifier. I've tried the offline installer multiple times but the installation is not sucessful. Does not fail. Starts but there is no response that it is completed. 

Dropbox was working fine after I upgraded to High Sierra in Nov 2017. But 2 weeks back, there was another upgrade to 10.13.3, and post that, Dropbox has stopped syncing. Icon has vanished from the Task Bar.

Please help!

msalem29
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

OK...update

In addition to Dropbox not syncing, i had also lost ability to copy/paste as well. So while trying to search a fix for that problem, it seemed to have fixed by Dropbox issue as well.

All I had to do was type "sudo update_dyld_shared_cache" through Terminal. 

And restart.

Everything works fine now. Don't ask me how it happened.  

Cheers.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
I appreciate your detailed reply here msalem29 & I’d just like to send one additional set of troubleshooting steps, I hope you’re doing well today! 

As I understand that you’ve already done some troubleshooting on your own, I’d recommend starting from scratch following these troubleshooting steps (depending on the operating system you’re running), so as to wipe any traces that may be obstructing the Updater. 

Once you do, keep me updated on the outcome in your next post here & I’ll check back with you more closely. Thanks in advance & I’ll be looking forward to hearing back from you!

[Edit: My connection was probably a bit delayed, as I didn't get to see your latest update before posting. Pleased to hear you got this sorted & everything is working as expected. 

I'll close this discussion for the time being, though please feel free to post here again at any time in case you have any questions or feedback. I'm wishing you a relaxed weekend ahead! ]

Jane
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

phildusart
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I am having this exact same problem.

Dropbox is not syncing, there is no icon in the top right of the icon bar, when I try and open the Dropbox application nothing happens, and when I check the Activity moniter, the only Dropbox related process is "Dropbox Finder Integration", as the previous user had.

The Dropbox program was working well last week and syncing fine. I have tried the solution that the previous user said worked, typing "sudo update_dyld_shared_cache" through Terminal, however nothing different occured for me even after restarting.

Dropbox was working and syncing fine last week, I don't know what has happened especially as I have not had any updates that I was aware of over the weekend.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks a lot for your detailed description of the steps you’ve followed so far phildusart, I’d happily have an additional look on the matter with you! 

I’d like to point you towards third party apps that may be killing the updates in the background (eg. some users have reported that the application "Boxifier" blocks the installation from being carried correctly). To bypass this, could you disable any Security/Antivirus programs & give our Offline installer a try? 

Once you do, please let me know of the outcome in your next post, so that we work on that as closely as possible. Thanks again & I’m looking forward to hearing back from you on this discussion! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Thunderbird
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

My attempts to get the desktop application for DropBox to run on my MacBook Pro 15 (2017) running High Sierra keep failing. I've downloaded the app man times and tried the solution in this thread. Everything goes fine until I try to run the application. Nothing happens. I've been deleting files to save room on my desktop. I cut down the selective sync to just a few folders to give me more room on my hard drive. I was given an error message that I was attempting to delete too many files and I need to use the desktop application.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    xyz222 Explorer | Level 4
    Jane Dropbox Staff
    tbarben11 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?