cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox app on Mac not responding

Dropbox app on Mac not responding

msalem29
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I am on Mac High Sierra 10.13.3, upgraded last week. Post the upgrade, Dropbox refuses to Sync. Been using Dropbox on this Mac for the last 5 yrs but never had this problem.

Even the Dropbox icon has vanished from Taskbar. I can see my Dropbox folder on Finder, which has all the last sync files from last week.

When I try to launch the app through Finder -> Applications -> Double Click on Dropbox, still nothing happens. 

Dropbox icon in Launchpad is unresponsive. Clicking on it takes me back to my last used screen on the mac.

Uninstalled and tried offline installer 44.4.58 - No result, not even sure if the installation completed or not.

Have gone through various posts on this forum and tried different fixes. Nothing worked yet.

HELP ME !

18 Replies 18

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey Thunderbird, apologies for getting back to you in delay & thanks for posting us on our Community on the matter. I’m just reaching back out to you to see if you’re still facing this syncing issue. 

If so, please do let me know here & we’ll take it from there. Thanks in advance! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

CassJohnson
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm having this same problem! Bought a new Macbook Air and updated it so now it's running Mojave on the latest version. I installed Dropbox with offline installer and it did the download and installation but never gave me confirmation that it installed. It backed up all of my photos and I can access them through Finder, however the program itself I cannot open and it will not let me delete it to reinstall it.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey there (@CassJohnson), as a quick check, could you have a look on your menu bar at the top of your Mac for the Dropbox icon? If you hover your mouse on it, it should display the Dropbox syncing status. What does the message there read for you Cass? 

From there, I’d like to point you to the syncing icons on your Mac that will help you paint a clearer picture on whether you’re syncing to your account online correctly :arrows_counterclockwise:/:white_check_mark:. If you’re facing an issue loading your syncing icons, I’d recommend unlinking & relinking your account on your desktop once, as it recreates the local database

Last but not least (& just in order to focus more on your initial inquiry), can you let me know whether you received any error messages when you tried to delete or reinstall Dropbox? If you’ve done any initial troubleshooting on your end, please do keep me updated of the outcome, so as to further advise accordingly. 

Any detail you could include on this discussion would be very helpful & thanks a lot for taking the time to clarify matters for me!

Jane
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Dolphinwth
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

there's clearly an issue with Dropbox.  Everthing else on my mac works same as before, dropbox no longer works after working fine for years.  Dropbox: stop blaming on user error, the ether, or 3rd party applications, just put your heads together with the apple-mac folks and get it fixed.  Dropbox should beta-test any updates prior to lauching to ensure a seemless expperience for users (regardless of what operating system/platform is being used).  I'm guessing most of us aren't IT troubleshooting types, and just want Dropbox to function properly, always...

It was a great product when it worked, but looks like it's now going the way of the dodo bird.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @Dolphinwth, we aim to make the updating process as seamless as possible however from what I gather from your description, it seems that you’re facing a syncing issue at the moment, is that right? If so, I’m wondering what this looks like on your end. 

Just as a quick check, could you have a look on your menu bar at the top of your Mac for the Dropbox icon? If you hover your mouse on it, it should display the Dropbox syncing status. What does the message there read for you? Have you noticed any progress since the last time you wrote us here by any chance? Alternatively, have you tried any of my suggestions posted on this thread; please let me know in your next message if possible. 

Any detail you could include on this discussion would be very helpful in determining the best next steps for you & thanks a lot for taking the time to clarify matters for me!

Jane
dropbox.com/support

tbarben11
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

It wants a password and I don't know it.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @tbarben11, can you elaborate a bit on that for me please? Does your inquiry pertain to not being able to launch the Dropbox application on a Mac device, as what has been discussed on this thread or a different one? Are you trying to sign in on your desktop & you're unable to get going with that because you don't remember your password? Have you tried resetting it by any chance? 

Once I have these details, I’ll try to focus on that a bit closer. Thanks in advance!

Jane
dropbox.com/support

xyz222
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Apr 12, 2020 - i am responding to this entire thread, especially Jane, Dropbox Support (thx for trying). I also suddenly have a dysfunctioning NON-functioning High Sierra Dropbox (v.94.4.384) and am unwilling to attempt Terminal or any other suggestions until DROPBOX SUPPORT posts one that simply works. 

I don’t have any suspect apps like Dropboxer or Boxifier etc. I have only the freeware uncustomized version of the Malware app, set to take NO ACTION, and nothing in my MBP is set to update automatically.

PLEASE give us direct, specific instructions, because Dropbox is the only tool/app malfunctioning so of course we deem it a Dropbox Corp. responsibility.

TIA.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @xyz222; how are you today?

As our most recent stable buld (95.4.441) just got out, I'd suggest updating your desktop app's version to that first.

Let me know how it goes! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    xyz222 Explorer | Level 4
    Jane Dropbox Staff
    tbarben11 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?