Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Dropbox app will not sign in/start, browser opens saying computer isn't supported?

Helpful | Level 6

I am running a fully updated windows 7 home pc with dropbox installed and has been running fine until this morning, I have a dropbox folder on this pc and it syncs with the dropbox app just fine for me but today it said i needed to sign in (it's usually signed in), I hit sign in it tries and about 4-5 mins later a browser opens saying

"Your computer is not supported, more details at www.dropbox.com/help/9227"?

Checked dropbox system requirements shows windows 7 still which is what i am running, confirmed win7 is fully updated.

I followed the link and set dropbox properties compatability to win 7 applied that, still no luck, went back clicked run as admin applied, no luck, 

Does dropbox suddenly not support windows 7 anymore?

I uninstalled the app and reinstalled it, dropbox 42.4.114 was what the most current lik gave me, no luck same thing, on my iphone it said add a computer did that pointed phone at the pc gave me another download link, uninstalled, restarted pc reinstalled again, same issue.

I think what stumps me the most is yesterday everything worked fine haven't done anything except try to access dropboxthis morning and noticed some files from phone didn't sync like usual to the win7 pc dropbox folder.

3 Replies

Re: Dropbox app will not sign in/start, browser opens saying computer isn't supported?

Dropboxer
Hey @BillA

First of all, thanks for providing all the details of your troubleshooting so far (and for doing the troubleshooting itself!). I can assure you that Windows 7 is fully supported.

This is indeed unusual, so we should get you in touch with our support team ASAP. Go ahead and submit a support ticket
here so our team can take a closer look at this. Once you submit your ticket, you’ll receive a confirmation email with a ticket number. You can let me know that number here, and I’ll make sure to get someone on it right away winking face

Cheers!

Sanchez
Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Re: Dropbox app will not sign in/start, browser opens saying computer isn't supported?

Dropboxer
* waves his hand frantically in the air *

I know the answer to this one:

The ONLY reason why you get the "out of date OS" when ur not......is because ur running in "compatibility mode".

In short, when installing the app, you opted for Compatibility mode, this installs like ur system is XP...which we no longer support. Reinstalling with (preferably with Admin privileges) will resolve this. Just double click the installer and roll with it :D.

Helpful | Level 6

I ended up trying it a few more times and it finally took, I had been trying the help ideas of checking compatability mode and i set it to windows 7, just the next install it never fully started it would sit for hours never loading fully, finally got it after a few more tries and restarts think it took a good 3-4 hours if not more to finally sync but glad it's working again.  It was working fine forever I have no idea why or how it changed that next day for me, very odd just glad it works again.

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Dropbox app will not sign in/start, browser opens saying computer isn't supported?
3 Replies
1 Like
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post