cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox asks if I want to remove a document right after I save it

Dropbox asks if I want to remove a document right after I save it

dimalique
Helpful | Level 6

For the last couple of days, whenever I have saved a Photoshop or an Illustrator document to Dropbox, I have received a pop-up message right afterwards that says:

"Remove "name of document" from your Dropbox account and all devices? If you move this file to $Deleted, it won't be available in Dropbox or on any devices."

I want to know how 'save' is being translated into 'delete'. I don't feel comfortable saving to Dropbox now, because I don't want to lose what I'm working on. Yes, I click on Cancel, but I have no guarantee that this will work every time (after all, I'm saving the documents and I'm getting "do you want to delete"). Does it possibly have anything to do with Dropbox telling me it will take 2 days for my files to sync? (BTW, I have the fastest internet I can buy and have checked the "Don't Limit" bandwidth option on my desktop. On my laptops, I have "Limit to" checked and put in a huge number just so I can get a couple kb Word doc to upload in under a day. I've been fighting this poor upload speed for months, and find it very frustrating since I don't have this difficulty with any other service I subscribe to).

53 Replies 53

Fiona
Dropbox Staff

Hey @dimalique, thanks for reporting. 

Sorry to hear you are having trouble. Can you post a screenshot of the error message you described please? 

I will also need to know what version of Dropbox you have installed on the device giving you the error. 

Thank you! 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

dimalique
Helpful | Level 6

Hello! This is a screenshot of the message:

dropbox_screenshot_1.png

I am using Dropbox v88.4.172 on all my devices.

Thank you.

dimalique

Fiona
Dropbox Staff

I understand what is going on now! :slight_smile:

Thanks for posting this screenshot Dimalique

So, this message is a security notification that informs you, that dragging a file out of the local Dropbox folder, will sync as a deletion of this file for all of your devices and the Dropbox cloud. 

The file will still exist in the location that you will drop it. Outside of Dropbox. Did you try to move this file out of your local Dropbox folder? 

Get back to me with any questions or concerns. 

Fiona
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

dimalique
Helpful | Level 6

Hi! I just want to see if I have this right. When I open an Adobe file from my Dropbox folder on my local machine, make changes, and press save, Dropbox believes I'm dragging that file out of the local Dropbox folder and wants to delete it from all other folders? I'm not changing the folder in which I am saving the document. I'm simply saving the changes I have made to the file itself.

dimalique

Fiona
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for clarifying that.  I thought you were moving the file out to edit it for some reason.:hear_no_evil:

This is an unexpected behavior that I really want to investigate and help with. Sending you an email right now. If you can record a screenscast for me, I would be grateful. 

To create a screencast  on Windows please follow the steps below:
1. Open “Problem Steps Recorder” by clicking the Start button and then typing psr.
2. Click Start Record and replicate the steps to show your problem
3. Once you’ve replicated the steps, click Stop Record
4. In the Save As dialog box, type a name for the file, and then click Save (the file is saved with the .zip file name extension)

Thank you for your patience. We'll get to the bottom of this. 

Fiona
dropbox.com/support

dimalique
Helpful | Level 6

OK. Will send this as soon as I can.

dimalique

dbhvp
Explorer | Level 4

Since 88.4.172 I get continuous file access problems. Is anyone else having the problem?

Detail, I have a build programs in a directory in my dropbox. Previously this has not been a problem.

But since 88.4.172 istalled yesterday, if I click Build before it has finished uploading last changes I get errors from the build system - "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process" and from Dropbox - "Remove [filename] from your Dropbox account and all devices? ...". The build one even happes after Dropbox has uploaed changes.

It's very disruptive & annoying, at this stage I have to run with dropbox paused.

Fiona
Dropbox Staff

Hello @dbhvp. Thanks for reporting. 

Merge your topic here, because I believe you are reporting the same issue. 

Let me know if the error message in this thread is the error message you are getting and if you specifically get this with a specific file type, or all your files.  

You don't get the error if the Dropbox desktop application is not working. Correct? 

Thank you! 

Fiona
dropbox.com/support

dbhvp
Explorer | Level 4

Yes, looks like the same error.

dropbox error.png

the .ilk file mentioned is updated with each build.

At the same time the build system says

C:\Users\david\Dropbox\Current\SoDSI\ScanSort\RapidKRLB\MainWindow.cpp:-1: error: C1083: Cannot open compiler generated file: 'C:\Users\david\Dropbox\Current\SoDSI\ScanSort\RapidKRLB\debug\RapidKRLB.ilk: Permission denied

Need more support?