Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Dropbox cannot connect, however www.dropbox.com does

Level 2

Dear all,

I use Dropbox on desktop pc's, using the Dropbox client. In one of my company's offices, the client cannot connect. There is no error message. However when I surf the web I can go to www.dropbox.com without problems. I don't know what can be the problem. Maybe something about proxies? Or do you have any other idea?

Regards

Luca

Tags (1)
3 Replies

Re: Dropbox cannot connect, however www.dropbox.com does

Dropboxer

Hey there Luca, sorry to hear about this.

I think your assumption is correct - could you check if this is caused by an antivirus, a firewall or a proxy/VPN setting?

In that case you'd need to whitelist our desktop application to enable it to connect to the internet normally. 

Let me know of any updates.

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 2

Thank you for your reply, and for the links. I have read all of them.

I think that there is no issue with antivirus and firewall. I have tried to connect the PC to the internet through my smartphone, and in that case Dropbox can connect. So, the problem is my company's network.

I cannot guess the correct proxy configuration. I am not administrator on my machine. Proxy is configured through a "script", and I cannot event see the whole script.Immagine.png

I have tried to guess which is my proxy using netsh winhttp show proxy, and I tried to configure the given proxy in Dropbox, with no luck.

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Thanks for the additional information Luca - most appreciated!

Have you tried setting it to no-proxy at all?

Moreover, could you maybe re-install with admin privileges on the affected device and maybe check with your company's IT department to see if there's any restriction that could be causing this? 

As mentioned, connection problems like this one usually mean there is a proxy, firewall, antivirus or other type of security program in the way.

Incorrect date and time on your computer could also prevent Dropbox from getting a secure connection, please make sure this is not the case before checking anything else.

If your date and time are correct please check other security applications. This Help Center article goes into detail of the latest known security problem interactions:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/desktop-web/cant-establish-secure-connection

If you have an antivirus and/or firewall running, make sure you do the following:
1.  Allow "Dropbox" (or "Dropbox.exe") to access ports 80 (HTTP) and 443 (HTTPS).
2. Add dropbox.com to the list of approved sites (white list) and make sure it is not on a black list.
3. In general, you need to allow *.dropbox.com and *.getdropbox.com to access all the hosts in our domain, since our IPs are constantly changing you need to approve/unblock by domain.
4. Some antivirus have special features that scan SSL traffic, please review your vendor's documentation and make sure you exclude Dropbox from the list.
5. Some firewalls also act as proxies for your computer, so you might need to add them in the proxies Preferences panel to correctly connect.

If you are behind a corporate/school network or behind a proxy make sure you enter the host and port information of your proxy using the Preferences panel. A common port for proxies is 8080 but when in doubt, contact your IT administrator (if applicable).

Keep me posted on your progress!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Dropbox cannot connect, however www.dropbox.com does
3 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution