Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

Dropbox constantly crashing

Helpful | Level 5

Having a perfectly working Dropbox installation on a German Windows 10, 64-bit, being located on a secondary SSD M2 "E:\Dropbox".

Then I decided to activate BitLocker on that drive.

Some days later, I again deactivated BitLocker on that drive again.

Big mistake, the Dropbox application is now crashing every half of an hour ("Dropbox has ended unecpexted" or something similar).

Unbenannt.PNG

Watching the Task Manager, it rans well above 3.4 GB memory usage before crashing.

My Dropbox is about 0,9 TB in size and about 860.000 files and about 135.000 folders.

I've tried everything I could get my hands on after googling and searching the forums here, including the advanced install/uninstall tips, cleared the Registry, rebooted.

Nothing helped.

My question:

How can I get my Dropbox working again correctly?

Tags (1)
7 Replies

Re: Dropbox constantly crashing

Dropboxer

Hey @Uwe K.2

Thanks for reaching out to us about this!

As a first step, could you please let me know if you're able to temporarily close or disable BitLocker by any chance?

If not, can you add Dropbox to an ignore list so that the desktop app can launch and sync?

Let me know of any updates!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Helpful | Level 5

As I said in my initial post, BitLocker has been completely deactivated since serveral days now.

Unbenannt2.PNG

I have no plans to actiate BitLocker again.

Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me, @Uwe K.2

Could you also ensure that you're on the stable version of the desktop app by hovering over the Dropbox icon on your system tray?

If you're on the beta build (which you can recognize from xx.3.xx, instead of xx.4.xx), it means that you've opted in to Early Releases in your online account settings.

In that case, please uncheck the option from your General tab on the website and reinstall the desktop app

Let me know if this helps!

Lusil

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Helpful | Level 5

I've switched from Beta to Stable channel, uninstalled all, rebooted, installed again (83.4.152).

Some hours later, I get the crash dialog again:

Unbenannt3.PNG

What next can I do?

dropbox still crashing.png

Dropboxer

Hmm. thinking face Could it be that you have a lot of files syncing in your desktop app? 

Please bear in mind that the performance of the desktop app can decline if you have more than 300,000 files synced to your computer.

To tackle this, you can use selective sync to choose only certain folders to sync. 

Let me know what you find!

Lusil

Helpful | Level 5

Do you even read what I post here?

I do not get a "bad performance", I have a week of unsynced local changes in my Dropbox because this thing is constantly crashing without syncing a single file.

Is there a paid support option?

I prefer to pay money instead ob being constantly keept occupied without any progress.

Dropboxer

In general, your technical support options depend on the account that you have. You can find your support options by logging in and going to dropbox.com/support

However, I'd be more than happy to look into this a bit more in depth with you. As such, I've followed up with a ticket to the email address connected to your Community profile. 

Feel free to get back to me there via email and we'll take it from there. Thanks in advance!

Lusil

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Dropbox constantly crashing
7 Replies
2 Likes
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post