Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

Dropbox desktop app will not open when i have an active network connection

Explorer | Level 3

For about a week now Dropbox has not been working. The system tray icon will appear for a few seconds then disappear again. I have now, through various troubleshooting steps, noticed that it will stay running if I disable my network connection, but as soon as I re-enable it, it disappears again, even if I have the preferences window open.

I've re-installed network drivers, and also tried using a wireless connection instead, but the same thing happens. I've done a full network reset from within Windows settings too, I have also tried doing the advanced uninstall/install several times but still doesn't work.

I have a feeling this has happened since a windows update, but I've tried uninstalling all the ones around the time it started but again, it still happens the same.

My next step is to go back to the previous Windows build, but as this may mean re-installing some of the business apps I have installed I thought I'd see if anyone here has any ideas. I'm currently running Windows 10 Pro v1809. I have also created a new user in case it was a profile issue which also made no difference.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Tags (1)
3 Replies

Re: Dropbox desktop app will not open when i have an active network connection

Dropboxer
Hi there @Coombsy_CCS,  

Out of curiosity, when you mention that:

@Coombsy_CCS wrote:

noticed that it will stay running if I disable my network connection, but as soon as I re-enable it, it disappears again

Could you please check that, when you enable your network, does it appear under the ^ icon that’s on your system tray? 

Could you also send me a screenshot (without personal info) of what you’re seeing when you enable and disable your connection? 

Thanks in advance!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Lusil,

Firstly, thanks for your reply.

Since my original post I have managed to get it working using an old offline installer (v67.4.83), with my network disabled during the install to avoid any chance of it updating.

I'm going to wait until it's updated all the files in my dropbox folder that it needs to, then I'll try updating the software. I have at the moment disabled the updater.

If it happens again once updated I'll get the screenshots you wanted, not that it will show much as the dropbox system tray icon only stays for a few seconds once the network connection is enabled then disappears again.

Dropboxer
Glad to hear that it’s working as normal, @Coombsy_CCS.

But, yes, if the issue does occur again, don’t hesitate to give me a nudge and I’ll make sure to get back to you as soon as possible. grinning face

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Dropbox desktop app will not open when i have an active network connection
3 Replies
0 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post