cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox does not appear on tray box, does not start at start up, does not sync files - Windows 7

Dropbox does not appear on tray box, does not start at start up, does not sync files - Windows 7

Carlo C.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have the latest version of Dropbox 3.2.6. Its been about 3 days that dropbox wont work on one of my systems running Windows 7. It was working and syncing fine a few days ago. Now I try to check it in the task bar system tray and the icon is gone, not hidden. I check the windows start up services and dropbox is no where to be found. The task manager shows the process running but no change on memory usage for that application. I have tried uninstalling and installing and no change. In fact once its done installing it doesn't show me the steps that usually come after the installation is complete like choosing sync options, etc. I upgraded to pro user thinking that was gonna fix it but still no change. It is working fine on my laptop which has windows 8 but I need it to work on my desktop as well. I hope this gets resolved, I have been using this service for a couple of years but if this keeps on occurring I will be force to seek a better cloud storage service, and I dont want to do that.

Thank you for your time and hope to hear back from someone from the support team.

-Sebastian

49 Replies 49

KmerpJ
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I downloaded it from the website and it works just as well

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the swift reply!

Just a quick question here to determine the case. Can you access the website version of Dropbox from the same network or are you having issues connecting to the website as well? Seems like a firewall, security program, proxy or VPN is blocking the Dropbox desktop. Can you make sure that these steps are followed for the configuration of your firewall and that the domains listed here are allowed or whitelisted? 

Secondly, could you reply here with a screenshot (omitting personal info) of what you're seeing? It would be really helpful in locating the case. 

Will be awaiting your message here! 

Warm regards, 
JaneA

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

bejibe
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same issue. On a win7 PC with several profile

1 profile with no problem

1 profile unable to run. It is in the task manager, but do not open. On this profile. Run as Administrator. Mind to set the dropbox folder in the C:/user/xxx instead of C:/user/administrator. Now OK

MuninMunin
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I fixed it by restarting my pc and relogging on dropbox... I GUESS. Because it didn't exactly work on the first time so who knows... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

wheeler47
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Uninstalling, rebooting, reinstalling with the Firewall turned OFF worked for me. Thnx!

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey all, 

Thanks for following-up, we've made sure to accept your answer as solutions, so that these are stored internally for future reference. I sincerelly appreciate your cooperation! 

If you need further assistance in the future, please let us know! 

Warm regards, 

JaneA

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Ralf L.
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

You consider this solved? I still have the same issue. Is Dropbox at all interested, to really fix it? If there was at least an error message, so I'd have at least an indication where to start. I don't want to spend all day to try all suggestions collcted here. Tried a few, no go.

tradeshowjoe
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Nothing has worked for me. I have a vpn (PIA) and Kapersky. I turned them both off and uninstalled db then reinstalled with both turned off. Still no go.Ironically, db started working about the time of my needing to pay for the service again, I paid and now it's dead again. Quite unhappy. I have tried everyting suggested and nothing,

Ralf L.
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

A reinstall fixed it for me.

Ellie-0707
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I run windows 7 and re-installed dropbox to my computer. It's working again now.
Need more support?