Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Dropbox doesn't load after Windows 10 1803 update

New member | Level 2

AFter update to Window 10 1803 version Doprbox will not load - error is 'Couldn't start Dropbox'. Suggested help is not use. Probably related to a new user with .000 appended created during update.

12 Replies

Re: Dropbox doesn't load after Windows 10 1803 update

Dropboxer

Hey @dickcollard - Welcome to our Community! 

Sorry to hear about this, have you tried a re-install or better yet, an advanced re-install to see if this will resolve this?

Give our offline installer a go as well and should the problem persist, attach a screenshot of the exact error message you get so we can have a visual as well in order to investigate this further if neeeded. 

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 4
Wonderful I had same problem. It worked out very nicely for me.

Dropboxer
Hey there @SKJJ, thanks for your follow-up here on this thread, I’m glad to hear that you were able to find a solution! 

How about you @dickcollard, were you able to resolve your concern in the end? Feel free to keep us updated on the matter, & we’ll make sure to get back to you as soon as possible.

In the mean time, I hope you both have a wonderful day ahead! grinning face with smiling eyes

Lusil

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Explorer | Level 4

2018-06-01_shot_003.jpg

Same problem, too... Now trying a re-installation via offline installer.

Last line in "...cache\dropbox_... .txt":

»WindowsError: [Error 5] Zugriff verweigert: u'C:\\Users\\xxx\\AppData\\Local'«

Dropboxer

Hey there @Sebastian G.11 - Welcome to the forums and thanks for posting your question here. 

I am sorry to hear about the issue with your desktop application and I would really like to help with this!

First off, would you mind disabling your antivirus or any security software you might be running and try re-installing the app again using our offline installer - if you haven't tried this already that is? 

If this persists and in order to dig further into this, I need to get and analyze the full error log that corresponds to the error message pop-up you're getting. 

You can obtain the full text of the error by clicking on the blue link within the error message pop-up ( the last hyperlink as shown in your screenshot). This will open a file with the full text of the error. Please either copy and paste the text in your next response here or save the file as a text file and send it over.

Let me know how this goes and we' ll take it from there Sebastian! Thank you in advance for your reply. 

Walter

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 

Explorer | Level 4
After several restarts of windows, a completely de- & reinstallation of dropbox -- instead of installing it "over" the existing installation – the Dropbox works again

Dropboxer
Hey there @Sebastian G.11, thanks for getting back to us and letting us know what worked for you! grinning face with smiling eyes

Feel free to get back to us if you have any more questions. I hope you have a wonderful weekend ahead! 

Lusil

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 

New member | Level 2

When I run the Dropbox installer, both the Offline and installer version, I get a "Busy" dialog with the bouncing green bar but nothing else happens. While in this state the PC's becomes quite unresponsive.

I have followed the clean install proceedure deleting Dropbox folders etc but that has not helped.

When I quit the installer in "Task Manager" (The only way to stop it) my screen goes black and remains black even after restaring the PC and logging in... I do get a log in screen.

Now that the PC is locked into this black screen state all I can do is Ctrl+Alt+Del into the "Lock, Switch User, Task Manager" menu. Very briefly before going to that menu a blue screen appears which says "Preparing security options". ( had to video that to capture what it says!).

Switching user and loging off take me back to the login screen. When I log back in the screen goes black again.

Something like 9 out of 10 times selecting "Task Manager" does nothing but then it will actually display the "Task Manager" window from which I can get to the  "Processes" tab and quit the task that I assume causing the "Preparing security options" dialog and the black display. (Sorry don't remember what it was called but it's quite obvious by the name of it). This will bring the PC back to it's normal state.

I notice that although the Installer fails the Dropbox Service is now installed and running but nothing else.

Sorry if this is a bit long winded. This has caused me so much grief and time that I will not even attempt to install Dropbox again. Now using OneDrive. I just though I would share my experience in case it helps anyone else.

PC: AMD FX 8320, 16GB RAM, 2xGT970-SLI, Windows 10 Home 1803 build 17134.81, Windows Defender

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

I removed the share on the D: drive and rebooted but Dropbox still fails to reinstall. It worked fine before update to Windows 10 version 1803.  I couldn't attach a screenshot image.  Here is the text in the error file:

ERROR:

Couldn't start Dropbox.

This is usually becaseu of permissions error. Storing your home folder on a network share can also cause an error.

Get more help at {useless help}  Please contact Dropbox support with the following info. {link}

The Advanced install fixed the problem, although it takes a lot more time than the normal reinstall (which did not work):

https://www.dropbox.com/help/desktop-web/advanced-reinstall

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Dropbox doesn't load after Windows 10 1803 update
12 Replies
14 Likes
Solved! : See solution