cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox folder automatically opens on startup

Dropbox folder automatically opens on startup

Not applicable
Go to solution

Dear Dropbox Community,

Over the last weeks, I have noted a strange pattern with Dropbox (Version 82.4.155; Windows 10): On every Windows startup, my Dropbox folder opens automatically in the Windows Explorer. This usually does not happen after standby. My question: I do want Dropbox to start automatically as service upon startup, but I do not want the Dropbox folder to open automatically. Does anyone have an idea how to do this?

Many thanks in advance, kind regards

H

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for checking all that for me, @anonymous!

Hmm. :thinking: Could you also try unchecking both of the boxes and see what happens then?

If the behavior doesn't get resolved, try reinstalling the latest version of the desktop app (83.4.152) - maybe that will do the trick. 

To do this:

1. Make sure you've saved and quit all apps that access files in the Dropbox folder.
  2. Stop the desktop app (if needed) by selecting "Quit Dropbox".
  3. Uninstall the desktop app.
  4. When that finishes, reboot your computer to make sure the uninstall is complete.
  5. Download and install the newest version from this link

If that comes to a dead end, don't hesitate to let me know the result and I'll make sure to get back to you as soon as possible. 

@Mahikhan, I just wanted to check if you're also experiencing the same behavior too? 

Let me know!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hello @anonymous, 

Welcome to the Dropbox Community - I' be more than happy to help. 

You should be able to select an option in your desktop app's settings so that Dropbox doesn't start upon startup:

• Click on the Dropbox icon on your menu bar. 
  • Go to your avatar. 
  • Selecting Preferences.. from the drop-down menu. 
  • In the General tab, there should be an option to Start Dropbox on system startup. Ensure that the option is not checked. 

Let me know if this helps!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Not applicable
Go to solution

Dear @Lusil ,

thank you very much for your quick reply!

Allow me to clarify: I do want Dropbox to start upon system startup. However, I do not want Dropbox to automatically open the Dropbox folder in the Windows explorer upon startup.  Therefore, unfortunately, unchecking "Start Dropbox on system startup " does not solve the issue at hand. From my understanding Dropbox usually should not launch the Explorer upon startup - or am I missing something here?

Best wishes, again many thanks for your reply,

H

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for getting back to me, @anonymous!

If you find that the desktop app is popping up every time you start your computer, could you please have a look if you have both the Start Dropbox on system startup and Open the desktop app when you start Dropbox options checked?

Let me know what you find!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Not applicable
Go to solution

Dear @Lusil,

thank you for your quick reply - and apologies for my delayed response.

I do have the option "Start Dropbox on system startup" activated (because I want Dropbox to sync my files in the background once I sign on).

I usually do not have the option "Open the desktop app when you start Dropbox" activated (because I want Dropbox to sync my files in the background once I sign on). Following up on your comment, I have switched this option on. It results in my system first opening the Windows Explorer with the Dropbox Folder and then the Dropbox App opening as well.

Finally, I also have tried both options (Open Folder in [1] Dropbox App  and [2] Explorer). They both result in the Windows Explorer opening up automatically when I start the computer (i.e., they both produce the problem I described initially, irrespective for whether I have "Open the desktop app when you start Dropbox" activated or not-activated).

Best wishes
Hendrik

Mahikhan
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Nice

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for checking all that for me, @anonymous!

Hmm. :thinking: Could you also try unchecking both of the boxes and see what happens then?

If the behavior doesn't get resolved, try reinstalling the latest version of the desktop app (83.4.152) - maybe that will do the trick. 

To do this:

1. Make sure you've saved and quit all apps that access files in the Dropbox folder.
  2. Stop the desktop app (if needed) by selecting "Quit Dropbox".
  3. Uninstall the desktop app.
  4. When that finishes, reboot your computer to make sure the uninstall is complete.
  5. Download and install the newest version from this link

If that comes to a dead end, don't hesitate to let me know the result and I'll make sure to get back to you as soon as possible. 

@Mahikhan, I just wanted to check if you're also experiencing the same behavior too? 

Let me know!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Not applicable
Go to solution

Dear @Lusil,

thank you very much for your helpful suggestion: It worked!

In more detail: Unchecking "Start Dropbox on system startup" and "Open the desktop app when you start Dropbox" causes Dopbox to continue to start on system startup but prevents it from opening the Dropbox folder in the Windows Explorer upon startup.

Again, many thanks for your swift replies!

Best wishes

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Glad to have helped, @Mahikhan

Don't hesitate to give me a shout if you have any other questions.

In the meantime, have a wonderful day ahead! :wink:

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Not applicable
Go to solution

Dear @Lusil,

unfortunately, the fix worked only temporarily.

After two days, Dropbox again automatically opens the Dropbox folder in the Windows Explorer upon startup. This also happens when unchecking both "Start Dropbox on system startup" and "Open the desktop app when you start Dropbox". In other words: Dropbox automatically opens the Dropbox folder in the Windows Explorer even when  Dropbox is not started (i.e., the Dropbox icon does not appear in the system tray).

Reinstalling Dropbox did not change this pattern.

Thank you very much in advance for any ideas on how to solve this issue.

Best wishes!

H

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lusil Dropbox Staff
    anonymous Not applicable
What do Dropbox user levels mean?