cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Safari Downloads on iOS 13

Dropbox greyed out on IOS 13

thewallin
Explorer | Level 3

Got a new iphone 11 with IOS 13 preinstalled.

Cannot change default download location to dropbox. 

I can access dropbox files through app and through Apples files app after adding dropbox within files app.

However, when trying to change default download location through safari settings the dropbox choice is grayed out. I have tried reboot, turning on and off app through files app but still greyed out, any ideas?

26 Replies 26

Rich
Super User II

From what I've read, apps that are greyed out in that list do not yet support the capability.

thewallin
Explorer | Level 3

So I am guessing it must be an IOS 13 thing? 

Still on iOS 12 on my iPad without issues. 

Hopefully Dropbox updates and/or apple allows downloads like before.

Scott W.1
New member | Level 2

I tried to set Dropbox to be used for Safari downloads. However when I go to select Dropbox in system preferences it is greyed out.

Any ideas? Is this something that requires an update from Dropbox? Or does Apple only allow downloads to go to iCloud Drive?

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Welcome to the Dropbox Community @Scott W.1!

So that I can have a better understanding, can you just confirm for me if you're trying to do this on Safari on a mobile device or a computer? Also, when you're trying to change the downloads location, can you send me a screenshot (excluding any personal info) of where you see Dropbox greyed out?

Since you mentioned only being able to download to the iCloud location, it sounds like you might be referring to a mobile. If that's the case, can you see if you're able to change the location to your local device storage?

Let me know what you find and we'll go from there - thanks! 

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Scott W.1
New member | Level 2

Yes on iOS. With iOS 13 you can download files with Safari.   In the Settings App on the iPhone you can specify a location to where downloads are saved.  You will notice from the screenshot below the Dropbox provider is greyd out.

IMG_8358.PNG

Rich
Super User II

@thewallin wrote:

So I am guessing it must be an IOS 13 thing?

Seems to be, and it's not just Dropbox. None of my other cloud services are available and some that are enabled in Files don't even show up. Only the device itself, iCloud and ShellFish (SFTP access to my own server) are available to select.

30b9b2d32e354e83549dcdd6b8622763.png

Best guess is that this is an iOS issue unrelated to Dropbox, and Apple will need to correct it.

thewallin
Explorer | Level 3

Just updated phone to 13.1, same issue. Dropbox greyed out. 
Also updated IPad to Ipad Os 13 and now the ipad has the same issue. Lovely 🙂

Rich
Super User II

You can still save to Dropbox; you just can't set it as the default location at the moment.

Long-press the link to the file and select Share to bring up the share sheet. Choose Save to Dropbox from the list and you'll be able to select where you want to save the file in Dropbox.

thewallin
Explorer | Level 3

For some linked files that I download the "share" options doesn't work. I can do it but the files download incorrect. 

My workaround is to download the file locally on iPhone/iPad and then go into files app and copy to Dropbox. For some reason file is correct then. 

Need more support?