cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox hangs on a stage 'Connecting' when starting

Dropbox hangs on a stage 'Connecting' when starting

sergzach
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Today I found on my working PC that Dropbox is hanging on the stage 'Connecting'.

I tried to remove dropbox (apt-get remove dropbox) and then install it from https://www.dropbox.com/install-linux. Nothing changes: the program still hangs when 'connecting'.

Also my colleague made me an advice to run 'dropbox update'. I did that but nothing had been changed. Still I wait for several hours on the stage 'Connecting'. 

Does anyone kindly tell me how to fix Dropbox?

Another detail: there is no syncing.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks a lot for taking the time to gather all this info for me (@sergzach); this has been very helpful! Let me dig a bit deeper & have a closer look on the issue through our Official Support channel having all our tools available. In order to further investigate, I’ve made sure to reach out to you directly via email on my end. 

Whenever you find some time, please check your inbox for my message & I’ll make sure to promptly get back in touch with you asap! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey there (@sergzach), it’s my understanding that you’ve already tried removing our application following the steps outlined here, is that right? If this didn’t bring about the expected results, then it might be useful to have an additional look at the steps outlined here to run an Advanced re-installation. 

From there, it would be worth noting that we currently support running the Dropbox desktop client on a device running Ubuntu 14.04 or higher or Fedora 21 or higher. If it’s not too much trouble for you, can you include a bit more detail about your current setup & :penguin: distro?

Furthermore, could you clarify if you’re using the Linux Command Line Interface to control our application? If so, (& just in case you have a little spare time) would you mind checking for the:

dropbox status

& let me know of your findings here? I’m wondering if there has been a significant change on your setup that could have impacted the Dropbox performance. Have you checked this possibility?  

Once I have this info, I’ll try to address your initial inquiry in a bit more depth. Thanks in advance for the time you’re devoting to gather these details for me & try my suggestions!

Jane
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

sergzach
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hello Jane.

Now I did actions mentioned at https://help.dropbox.com/desktop-web/linux-commands#remove. Then I reinstall dropbox (apt-get remove, apt-get install...). Now dropbox still connecting forever, but dropbox status output seems changed. Recently (before the removing from /etc/apt/sources.lists and reinstallation) it outputs that dropbox is connecting and now it outputs:

Dropbox isn't running!

However there is a gray icon of dropbox in a bar. And there is a process of dropbox

sergzach@serg-pc:~$ ps ax | grep dropbox
 4741 ?        Ssl    0:04 /home/sergzach/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-70.4.93/dropbox

If I click on dropbox icon and choose "Quit Dropbox" the output of command above is empty. So, some process relates to that gray icon of Dropbox but dropbox status shows that dropbox is not running for some reason. 

The version at "Preferences" (via Dropbox icon) and output of dropbox version match to each other.

sergzach@serg-pc:~$ dropbox version
Dropbox daemon version: 70.4.93
Dropbox command-line interface version: 2019.02.14
sergzach@serg-pc:~$ uname -a
Linux serg-pc 4.15.0-47-generic #50~16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Fri Mar 15 16:06:21 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

sergzach
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

May be I could see more logs?

sergzach
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

For some reason Dropbox does not connect from my network at work. If I try mobile networking (e.g. Internet via my mobile phone) it starts correctly and starting to synchronize the files. 

So, if I connect via the net at work it hangs on connecting. The strange thing that Dropbox client of the same version (70.4.93) works well on my colleague's PC (we have the same versions of operational systems, Ubuntu 16.04).

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks a lot for taking the time to gather all this info for me (@sergzach); this has been very helpful! Let me dig a bit deeper & have a closer look on the issue through our Official Support channel having all our tools available. In order to further investigate, I’ve made sure to reach out to you directly via email on my end. 

Whenever you find some time, please check your inbox for my message & I’ll make sure to promptly get back in touch with you asap! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

sergzach
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Now it suddenly works. I don't know why. 

After I entered in the last of the recent day via mobile network (not from my working network where it did not work) passing full synchronizing via mobile network it started to work (e.g. after switching to my working network in synchronized state). I do not know why. May be it was a condition when Dropbox is trying to resolve some local issues. But now the problem seems to be resolved.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Ah, that’s some great news & thanks for letting me know that you got this sorted on your end @sergzach!

Feel free to ping us back on our Community in case you’d like to share your thoughts or you experience any issues in the future & we’ll make sure to check back with you as closely as possible. Take care until then! 🎈

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?