Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

Dropbox icon stuck on starting

New member | Level 2

My dropbox Icon on My Mac Mojave 10.14.5 stuck on starting, so I can't sync my files.

The dropbox icon appear and disappear nonstop.

I've been using dropbox for couples of years.

What should I do?

Thanks

Tags (1)
1 Reply

Re: Dropbox icon stuck on starting

Dropboxer
Hey @LovelyDesign , I’m wondering if the message displayed reads “Starting..” or there's a different wording; please let me know in your next message if possible. 

Now, if you’re reaching a screen that reads “Connecting” (& assuming that you can access our website as expected), then you may have a look at these pointers which could be helpful: 

More information
  • Initially, are you connecting through a work network by any chance? If so, you may have to check with your company’s IT, as there may be an update on your Firewall settings (or some other additional security precaution put in place) that’s been affecting your connection. Are you having any issues loading your account online
  • Are other users in your network experiencing the same behavior incidentally? Have you reset your router maybe? 
  • If all other settings have been checked correctly, then it’s highly likely that an antivirus, security program, proxy or VPN is blocking the Dropbox desktop app from updating. Can you make sure the domains listed here are allowed or whitelisted?
  • Last but not least, I’d appreciate a screenshot (omitting personal info) of the message you’re seeing on your end; please include it in your next post here. 
If this persists, I’d recommend giving our Offline installer a go, referencing the steps outlined below: 

More information
  • Stop Dropbox (if needed) by clicking the Dropbox icon in the menu bar on the top of your screen. >Click on the gear icon in the Notifications panel and select "Quit Dropbox". 
  • Delete the Dropbox application from the Applications folder. You may need to provide your computer password in order to perform this action. 
  • Reinstall the Dropbox desktop application following these steps:
  • Open the Dropbox .dmg file and double click the Dropbox icon. Dropbox should appear in your menu bar.
Thanks in advance for taking the time to try my recommendations & please keep me updated on the outcome in your next message, in order to work towards a fix together!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Dropbox icon stuck on starting
1 Reply
0 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post