Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us!

no

Dropbox on Android x86 Immediately Closes on Launch

Explorer | Level 3

I have been working with an installation of Android x86 (8.1 r2) and have most of my Android applications working. One exception is Dropbox.

When I click the Dropbox icon, the Dropbox window opens for a fraction of a second and then closes. There are no errors, it just closes.

I have cleared data and cache, uninstalled/installed multiple times but the problem persists.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening, how to troubleshoot, how to solve the issue?

Thanks,

grandpalarry777

8 Replies

Re: Dropbox on Android x86 Immediately Closes on Launch

Dropboxer
Hey @GrandpaLarry, it’s been a while since we last spoke & I’m happy to see that you reached back out here for assistance; I hope my message finds you well! 🤓 

Without further ado, let’s look into the matter at hand! 

• Would it be okay to clarify whether the android installation is running on a mobile device or on your desktop? 
  • Additionally, can you let me know whether you downloaded the app through the android market or in a different manner? 
  • Off the top of my head, since you mentioned that the app is failing to install without yielding any error messages, I’d suspect that it doesn’t fulfill our system requirements. Could this be happening by any chance Larry? Have you seen this resource previously?
Please let me know of your findings or if I’ve misunderstood your inquiry in any way at your earliest convenience & we’ll take it from there! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 3

Jane,

Thank you for the reply. In answer to your questions, please see the following:

My Android x86 (running as the installed OS - not on a VM) installation is running on a desktop computer with the following configuration:

Intel Core i5
8 GB DDR3 memory
1 TB WD HDD

So it would meet all desktop requirements regardless of OS.

The Android x86 installation is based on Android 8.1

Dropbox was downloaded and installed from the Google Play Store
The installation was normal, it is when I try to launch Dropbox that the problem arises.

Just a point of additional information I also have an installation of Android Prime OS installed on another HDD in the same box. Dropbox runs without problem in that OS.

Any further thoughts?

Thanks again,

grandpalarry777

Dropboxer
Thanks for looping back to me with these additional clarifications @GrandpaLarry & please accept my apologies for the slight delay in replying back to you. 

I believe I’m covered for the most part, so at this moment it would be more efficient if we switched this discussion to email, as I’d need to have a closer look to your account specifics if you don’t mind. I’ve just sent you a brief message through our Official Support channel Larry; please have a look at your inbox at your earliest convenience & we’ll take it from there. Thanks again! 

Jane

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Explorer | Level 3

Your email asked if the problem had been corrected.

No, my issue is not resolved. I still experience the problem of Dropbox closing immediately after opening on Android x86. The replies I have received to this point have given no suggestions as to how to resolve this issue.

Highlighted

Super User II

Justs keep in mind that you're running the Dropbox app in what is likely an unsupported environment. The Dropbox app for Android is a mobile app, meant to run on mobile hardware (i.e. a phone or tablet). I'm sure Dropbox never intended to have a mobile app running on desktop hardware, and will likely not support such a configuration. There may not be a resolution to the issue.

Explorer | Level 3

Rich,

Thank you for the reply. I understand that this is a somewhat different sort of request but it is interesting that Dropbox runs fine on my installation of Android Prime OS but not on the Android x86 installation. Both are installed on the same machine so I was hoping there might be some known issue or work around to get it to work on both versions of Android on PC.

You can go ahead and close the request as there doesn't appear to be any resolution.

Thanks anyway,

Lawrence [personal information removed according to the Community Guidelines]

Star Collaborator | Level 18

Hi @GrandpaLarry,

Don't worry about "desktop hardware"! smiling face with open mouth and tightly-closed eyes Your question isn't "somewhat different sort of request", definitely. It's reasonable (at least).

Basically Android applications are dalvik (something like java) virtual machine based and that's why are platform (hardware) independent. Yes, there are different possibility in Android application project to be added different platform dependent components, making the application, at all, a platform dependent. But! A single look on Dropbox application apk shows that there are NOT such platform dependent components. winking face There are only dex executable files (Dalvik EXecutable - something like jar files in java).

Good luck!

Dropboxer
Thanks for the in-depth explanation @Rich & @Здравко

Since we’re aligned in the troubleshooting steps followed so far, let me just re-iterate from Zdravko’s last message that our aim is to see that Dropbox recognizes the android installation as such or being attached to a desktop-dependent process @GrandpaLarry. That’s essentially why I’ve messaged you, in order to ensure we’re on the same page & I’m merely re-phrasing here for anyone reaching this thread in the future with the same question. 

It's my understanding that you also received a nudge email that's designed to keep the discussion on the Community going if you haven’t reached a resolution on your end (so this worked as intended in this case, as you were still facing the same issue). Regardless, I've also sent you a follow-up email today, in order to continue from where we've left off here. 

Thanks again to everyone for your contributions; have a wonderful weekend ahead! 

Jane

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Dropbox on Android x86 Immediately Closes on Launch
8 Replies
0 Likes