cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

Dropbox on Linux attempting to execute as root via sudo - any ideas?

Explorer | Level 3

Excuse me if install/integration isn't the correct area to post this - nothing else matches the category.

I run dropbox for Linux (x86_64), version 86.4.146, as a separate user 'dropboxuser'. I have noticed as of late by way of security e-mails from sudo that the dropboxuser is attempting to execute scripts in /tmp. See the example mails below.

mybox : Dec 6 12:21:52 : dropboxuser : user NOT in sudoers ; TTY=pts/7 ; PWD=/ ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/bin/sh /tmp/tmpkq6j6p3e

mybox : Dec 3 22:56:08 : dropboxuser : user NOT in sudoers ; TTY=pts/7 ; PWD=/opt/dropbox ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/bin/sh /tmp/tmp4ey9y9kd

mybox : Dec 3 22:56:07 : dropboxuser : user NOT in sudoers ; TTY=pts/7 ; PWD=/opt/dropbox ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/bin/sh /tmp/tmpiizxl2c7

mybox : Nov 14 19:09:17 : dropboxuser : user NOT in sudoers ; TTY=pts/7 ; PWD=/ ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/bin/sh /tmp/tmpuii0fwie

There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the time of day these execute, but it is always attempting to execute some script in /tmp. These files no longer exist and I have no idea what the contents were.

Does anyone know why dropboxd would be attempting to gain root privileges and what is the contents of these files?

Thanks

1 Reply

Re: dropboxd on Linux attempting to execute as root via sudo - any ideas?

Star Collaborator | Level 19

Hi @boxdropping,

No, you are wrong. Dropbox application never tries gain root access, actually. Seems your sandboxing tool assumes so, for some reason. From time to time the application checks for updates and default temporary directory is used for. winking face That's it. Usually every user should have access to temporary storage. Why you have limited such access thinking face, only you can give this answer to yourself or read carefully documentation for other possible tools used, able affect.

Hope this adds some clarity.

PS: I wasn't able see any secure confirmation that Dropbox application is trying gain root access. You assume so by username base, only! Other application/tool also could run in same context. Be careful. Check which one is the actual application trying this access. If you want careful limit Dropbox application (or any other), use AppArmor. winking face Reports there are more full/complete.

This thread is closed due to inactivity. Please feel free to create a new topic here. 
Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Dropbox on Linux attempting to execute as root via sudo - any ideas?
1 Reply
0 Likes
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post