Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us!

no

Dropbox on my work computer allows anyone to look at ALL my files, not just the select sync files.

New member | Level 2

Am I missing something?  I only sync a selective set of folders to my desktop dropbox folder but if I want to (or if someone else wanted to!) I can just click on the dropbox icon and choose the 'world' icon which leads me to EVERYTHING in my database.

At my work, I have people who come onto my computer after me and set up projects for me or IT people who maintain the software.

What's keeping any of them from doing the same??

B

Tags (1)
7 Replies

Re: Dropbox on my work computer allows anyone to look at ALL my files, not just the select sync file

Super User

Hi @blakerinla, If you link a Dropbox account with a computer, that is expected behavior. In your case, probably a solution would be to create a new (separate) Dropbox account, and share only the project folders (which you want to keep in your work computer, and okay to be seen by your colleagues) between your two Dropbox accounts. Link (log in to the Desktop app) that new account with your Work computer. 

Re: Dropbox on my work computer allows anyone to look at ALL my files, not just the select sync file

New member | Level 2

Hola yo tengo la misma pregunta, el problema que al crear una nueva cuenta gratis no entran los archivos, o sea que tendria que abonar dos suscripciones?

Super User

Hello @sayha, if you need to share a large amount of data (more than a free Dropbox quota), you have to pay for the new subscription. In that case, my above solution is a bad idea. 

New member | Level 2

Hola Gracias por tu respuesta, y si me suscribo al pro?

Super User

@sayha, No difference whether you subscribe to Pro or Plus in your context; a single subscription cannot be shared between two accounts. 

No hay diferencia si se suscribe a Pro o Plus en su contexto; una sola suscripción no se puede compartir entre dos cuentas.

New member | Level 2

Hmmm, seems like there ought to be a device-specific way of doing this without having to creat a workaround.   Free dropbox quota is 2GB which I often overrun because I transfer stuff from work to home and back using Dropbox.

Is there a way of walling off certain folders or requiring a password to access the cloud files?

Thanks

Super User II

@blakerinla wrote:

Is there a way of walling off certain folders or requiring a password to access the cloud files?

No. Dropbox is meant for individuals. If you install it on a computer where multiple people use the same login, there's nothing preventing them from accessing your files or account.

If you need to secure your files and access to your Dropbox account, use separate user accounts on your operating system and make sure no one can sign-in as you.

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Dropbox on my work computer allows anyone to look at ALL my files, not just the select sync files.
7 Replies
0 Likes
Dropbox Design Research
Looking for Dropbox Paper users

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post