Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

Dropbox red numeric counter - how do I remove it ?

New member | Level 1

Hello people,

I have an issue (not sure if I can call it an issue), my dropbox app has a red numeric indicator/counter in the top right corner of the app icon on the iphone home screen. My girlfriend has dropbox too but she doesn't have that indicator/counter. It's kinda annoying seeing that red counter every time I unlock my phone. I saw a similar thread in here but it was about mailbox and I  think it's not the same problem as mine.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers from Bulgaria

Best regards Alexander

6 Replies

Re: Dropbox red numeric counter - how do I remove it ?

New member | Level 1

></p>

Super User alumni

It likely means you have camera uploads enabled and thats how many pictures / videos that are not on the Dropbox servers yet. 

Open the Dropbox app and let it upload your pictures. As they upload the number will decrease. 

Its simply letting you know you need to take action to ensure they are backed up. 

Highlighted

Super User alumni

You may need to periodically open the app to allow it to upload... or also going into settings and enable background uploading may help. Also using Cellular or just WiFi may reduce the chance you see the indicator.

However those settings are things you need to personally determine on your own as you may have limited cell data for example. 

If those pictures and videos have already been uploaded by the phone via a cable connection to your Mac or PC you may see the numbers drop rather quickly. Dropbox will not re-upload them a second time.

New member | Level 1

I just checked, went to settings in dropbox and I need to open Carousel and:
1st. Carousel says all my videos and photos are backed up
2nd. My background uploading is also on
3rd. I have dropbox on PC and everything is synced

What concerns me is that this number u see on the screenshot (37) hasnt changed for the last month - and since then i've taken a lot of photos, been without internet access (in the mountains) after that with internet access, auto uploading etc. the number has been the same for a month :(

any thoughts ?

Super User alumni

No I am afraid not. I don't use Carousel. 

This may be something that the staff will need to help out with. https://www.dropbox.com/support 

You can turn off the icon badges in settings on the phone, but I wouldn't want to suggest that as it could hide an underlying issue. I am not saying it is, just it could be. Especially if it hasn't changed in all that time. 

New member | Level 1

Well something i didn't think of - i uninstalled dropbox and carousel and then installed again and signed in again (after i tried everything i read on the internet and nothing suggested doing what i just did) and now the numeric indicator is gone - hope is gona stay for good like that (i mean even if it appears in the future, will disappear after following ur instructions to open the app and let it upload).
thank you much Tom, appreciate the effort !
Best regards Alex !

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Dropbox red numeric counter - how do I remove it ?
6 Replies
2 Likes
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey