cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox stopped working on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS; advanced re-install did not help

Dropbox stopped working on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS; advanced re-install did not help

witsend
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi,

I have been using DB for years; these days, I use it to sync files across 3 computers; all of them with a different version of Ubuntu Linux. On two of these computers, DB works great. However, one one computer at home (with initially Ubuntu 18.04 LTS), DB suddenly stopped working. Specifically, it would take forever to sync the 2-3 small txt files that needed to be synced.

I tried different things to solve the issue, but it made things worse:

* stop and restart dropbox (using the CLI tool)

* re-install DB, using both methods described here (deb file and CLI):

https://www.dropbox.com/install-linux

* doing an advanced (Linux) re-install, as explained here:

https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/advanced-reinstall?fallback=true

* tried to install an older version, as suggested somewhere (sorry, can't find the corresponding ticket any more)

* moved the Dropbox folder to a different location (so to as re-install my files from scratch), and "unlink" the computer (on the web-site: parameters > security > devices) so as to link it again later.

* updated the OS of the computer to Ubuntu to 19.04.

Nothing worked. Whenever I re-install, I do *not* get the pop-up which asks to which account I should link this computer; nothing in the terminal either when running from the terminal.  When I click on the DB icon (on query the CLI tool), it simply says "connecting". When I select preferences > Account, it says it is not connected to any account. (But again, it does not let me select an account!) Current version is v82. If I try to install an older version, it automatically updates to this (apparently non-working) version.

To make things worse, I tried to log in the DB web site from the same computer with my browser, it did not work either! I enter my login, my password, but then it just stalls. This is using Firefox, but I tried with Chrome and Chromium as well, to no avail. Apperently a CAPTCHA should show up, but it does not, whatever the browser. I also tried in private mode.

Wit's end... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nicolas

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @twometers,

If you can't open Dropbox's site then the application can't be able to link any account and the problem isn't in Dropbox application, definitely, neither Ubuntu (not as a system, but can be some settings). Can you access some other (non company, external) site? You have to solve the network problem initially (wherever it is).

Hope this gives some direction. :wink:

View solution in original post

38 Replies 38

witsend
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi,

some extra info:

* version of Dropbox: v82.4.15

* I did manage to log in the DB web site from Firefox in the end, but that still does not work on e.g. Chromium (stock install with no extension). Weird...

I have googled for hours about my problem, but I could not find work around (beyond those in my previous message, which did not work).

Any idea?

Many thanks in advance

Fiona
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hello @witsend. Sorry to hear you are having trouble. :slight_frown:

Grateful for the detail description of the problem, your OS details and the troubleshooting steps. 

Is there a security system that could be blocking Dropbox from starting? An antivirus, a firewall, or a proxy that could be causing Dropbox not to load at all? :thinking:

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

@witsend wrote:

* tried to install an older version, as suggested somewhere (sorry, can't find the corresponding ticket any more)

Hi @witsend,
Did you "freeze" installed build before launch? If not, Yes, automating update follows!
Hope this casts some light. :wink:

witsend
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

@Fiona: I don't use an antivirus (like most Linux users), I did not change anything recently regarding a firewall, etc. Again Dropbox just stopped working on one computer of the two I have at home.

Здравкo: Thanks, but this did not work either. Specifically:

1. I did an *advanced* re-install.

2. I installed that old version (79.4.143). (I locked the folder as you said.)

3. When I ran dropboxd, the script just hanged.

After a few minutes, I did Ctrl-C, and rebooted, but same as before. Dropbox is "connecting", but is not linked to my account (and never ask me what is my account). The version is still 79.4.133.

Should I try with an even older version, maybe?
Witsend

Fiona
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for trying our suggestions. I understand this will need a device specific investigation. 

Can I create an email communication with the email associated with your Community profile @witsend? Thanks. 

Fiona
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

witsend
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

sure! Thanks for looking into this.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Are you sure "~/.dropbox" folder is removed? If not, before launch dropboxd, try (while older version still locked):

dropbox stop
rm -rf ~/.dropbox
dropbox start

Can you see now dropbox asking for account linking?

witsend
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I am 99% sure, since I did an "advanced re-install" (where you are supposed to delete both ~/.drobpox and ~/.dropbox-dist first).

But I'll double check tonight (when I have access to my home computer).

BTW, account linking is prompted through a pop-up window, right? Is there any way to do it manually? (editing a config file, or running some command from the CLI).

Fiona
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I emailed you @witsend! Thank you for your time on this. 

Also please take a look at Ð—дравко's suggestion here and add any results here if you wish. This will be a great help for other users reading the thread. 

Talk to you soon via email! :envelope:

Fiona
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

andrecavalcante New member | Level 2
    easternseaboard New member | Level 2
    Здравко Legendary | Level 20
    corktowner Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?