Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

Dropbox will not install on Mac OS Mojave 10.14.1

Explorer | Level 3

I am trying to install Dropbox on my iMac.  I have downloaded the latest version of Dropbox and gone through the installation.  During installation, Dropbox "bounces: in the Dock and then disappears.  When I then go to "Finder" "apps" it appears under apps but will not open and when I then go to Force Quit it doesn't show Dropbox as running.  Grateful for help please.

11 Replies

Re: Dropbox will not install on Mac OS Mojave 10.14.1

Dropboxer
Hi there @Captain_Mike!

Could you please try reinstalling the desktop app and see if that does the trick? 

Let me know of any update!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Lusil

And my apologies for not replying sooner.

I re-installed Dropbox but am still not sure that it is working as it should.  It appears under "applications", but clicking on it does not cause it to open; nor if I drag the icon into the "Dock" does it allow me to open it from there.  However, a Dropbox icon appears in the top right of the screen and by clicking on that I can then get the functionality that I need.  Is this what I should expect??!!

Kind regards

Mike

Dropboxer
Thanks for getting back to me on this, Mike. 

The Dropbox icon that you see in your “Apps” folder is the desktop app itself. Should you not see the Dropbox icon on your menu bar (for example), it means that the desktop app has stopped running. In this case, just navigate, as you do, to your “Apps” folder, click on the desktop app, which should get the Dropbox icon to re-appear on your menu bar, which translates to the app running again. 

Having said that, to open the Dropbox folder, you can do this from Finder, or by clicking on the folder icon that’s at the top of your notifications menu that pops up when you click on the Dropbox icon (next to your desktop’s clock). 

I hope this helped to some extent explain a bit. Let me know if you have any other questions. grinning face

Lusil

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Explorer | Level 3

Thank you so much Lusil. That clarifies everything for me. 

Kind regards

Mike

Dropboxer

Glad to have helped. smiling face with open mouth and tightly-closed eyes Have a wonderful day ahead!

Lusil

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Lusil I'm having the same problem as Mike, after doing everything you mantined in this post I still can't see the Dropbox folder as I used to un my Finder, I recently updated to Mojave but dodn't notice that my Dropbox folder dissapeared, any idea what could be the problem? I already reinstalled the latest version and I do see the icon on the top corner next to the clock, but not in my finder.

Regards, Oscar.

Dropboxer

Hey Oscar, if you navigate to the folder icon that’s on the top-right hand corner of the notifications menu (that appears when you click on the Dropbox icon that’s next to your desktop’s clock), are you able to see a relevant path to the Dropbox folder? thinking face

Lusil

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Lusil, sorry for the delay but I was away from my computer yesterday, yes just as you point out I can see the folders when I click on the top right dropbox icon, but I used to see Dropbox as another folder on the finder and that feature doesn't seem to be working this time.

Regards. 

Dropboxer
Thanks for getting back to me on this, @Pennywise10973

Dropbox automatically adds a shortcut to the Places menu in the sidebar in Finder when it’s installed, but if you don't have one for whatever reason it’s simple to add it back.

Just drag the Dropbox folder itself into the sidebar. The Dropbox folder can be found in your Home folder, the folder named after your computer user name. When you drag it in, you should see a blue line with a dot at the beginning indicating where the shortcut will be placed.

Just be careful not to move the Dropbox folder itself though (such as to the Desktop, or any other location on your computer) because then the Dropbox software won't know where it is.

Let me know if you’re still having trouble with this!

Lusil

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Dropbox will not install on Mac OS Mojave 10.14.1
11 Replies
1 Like
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post