Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

Highlighted

Dropbox won't close, two processes keep running

Helpful | Level 7

I've noticed that since the last update, Dropbox on Windows 7 doesn't close or shutdown properly - two dropbox.exe processes remain running in the background. I started paying attention the other day when (soon after closing the Dropbox and leaving the computer idling for a few minutes) the laptop fan went loud and the drive activity LED blinked a lot. I killed those two then, though.

I hope you can fix this.

3 Replies

Re: Dropbox won't close, two processes keep running

Dropboxer
Hey there @Saturn,

Can you just confirm for me when you mentioned that you closed the Dropbox app, did you do this by clicking the Dropbox icon in your system tray, clicking the gear icon and choosing “Quit Dropbox”?

Would you mind trying a basic re-installation of the desktop app, simply uninstall then download and install the software again. Please bear in mind the 3 device limit if you are a Dropbox Basic user, if you currently have more than 3 devices connected then let me know and don’t carry out this step.

Let me know how it goes - Cheers!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Helpful | Level 7

Yes, I closed it via the menus you mention (don't know of any other way, though), and observed in Process Explorer how the processes were shutting down - two of them remained.

I'll try the reinstall some other time when I have more time. In the meantime - is there any portable version of Dropbox for Windows, with all the simplicity the default app used to have? (All I actually need is an app that runs on my request, executes the syncing, and shuts down on my request. Nothing less, nothing more.)

Dropboxer
Hey again @Saturn,

The desktop app for computers is the only version available which allows syncing of files via the Dropbox folder. Do you notice the same CPU usage when you have paused syncing

This would allow you to have syncing paused when not in use, you can resume when needing to sync files and then pause again when the app is up to date. Otherwise, just keep me updated when you have the time to go through with the reinstall.

Hope you have a great start to your week - Thanks! 

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Dropbox won't close, two processes keep running
3 Replies
0 Likes
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post