Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Dropbox won't launch after install Linux Mint 19

New member | Level 2

Trying to install the dropbox app on Linux Mint 19. Tried both compiling from source code, installing from the software manager channel. App installs, icon shows up, but the app will not launch, either from the GUI or the command line. 

From what I understand, it's supposed to launch a prompt to download the Dropbox daemon and link your account to the machine. Any suggestions/workarounds/potential reasons that wouldn't work? 

3 Replies

Re: Dropbox won't launch after install Linux Mint 19

Dropboxer
Hey there (@BaronVP), if you’d like to run the Dropbox app on a Penguin OS, then you’d need to locate Dropbox folder on an ext4-formatted hard drive or partition. From there, please bear in mind that we currently support Ubuntu 14.04 (or higher) & Fedora 21 (or higher).  That said Baron, I’d like to help you resolve that as much as I can; let me send you some pointers that could be of assistance & we’ll take it from there: 

If your computer is running Linux, and you want to run the Dropbox app utilizing the visual interface, please bear in mind that you’ll need to use:

More information
  • GNOME shell (may need the TopIcons extension to get the tray icon)
  • Unity
  • GNOME Classic
  • XFCE with the corresponding Nautilus dependencies
Can you elaborate a bit on the visual interface you’ve loaded on your device if it’s not too much trouble for you? 

From there, have you diagnosed the behavior at all on your end (i.e. what does it look like/ have you noticed any error messages by any chance)?  I’d appreciate a screenshot (omitting personal info), so as to better determine what's happening. 

Last but not least (& just because you mentioned that you’ve already tried compiling from source), can you confirm that you’ve followed the steps outlined here? Maybe you haven’t run the Dropbox daemon from the newly created .dropbox-dist folder just yet? If so, would you mind running this Command in your Linux terminal?

~/.dropbox-dist/dropboxd

You may give my suggestions a go whenever you find some spare time & please do let me know how you get on with my advice on our conversation here. Thanks! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2

Thank you Jane, this worked for me.

I have a fresh Linux Mint 19.1 Mate 32 bit install, on a single partition EXT4 drive.

In my Linux Software Centre, DropBox shows up in the list of software, but rather than the "Install" icon, the icon says "Not available".

So I followed the instructions at https://www.dropbox.com/install-linux and downloaded the Ubuntu 32 bit .deb file, and this failed.

So then the instructions at the bottom of the page to run:

$ cd ~ && wget -O - "https://www.dropbox.com/download?plat=lnx.x86" | tar xzf -

followed by:

$ ~/.dropbox-dist/dropboxd

worked immediately.

Thanks!

Dropboxer
Ah, great to hear (@SJR73) & thanks for letting me know! I’ve gone ahead & marked your last comment as the Best Answer however please feel free to check in with us here should you have further Penguin inquiries in the future.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to drop us a line at the Dropbox Community & happy syncing ahead! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Dropbox won't launch after install Linux Mint 19
3 Replies
1 Like
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post