Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Highlighted

Re: Dropbox won't open "waiting to be linked to Dropbox account"

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @lluamco

Spoke to our desktop client team and they suggested that you write us on www.dropbox.com/support so they can investigate this further.

If you want, you can share the ticket number here so I can pass it to them directly. Also, hopefully, if/when this gets resolved if there's anything you can share back here to help fellow users, that'd be fantastic slightly smiling face

Thanks!

Ed G
Community Manager @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 4

Hello @Ed

I have written to support as you suggested. This is the ticket number:  #6658413

Thank you.

New member | Level 2

I uninstalled it and downloaded the latest version and it worked fine! Be sure to delete the previous downloads!

Helpful | Level 5
I had the same problem in puppy linux and copying the link in the browser as suggested from lluamco worked fine. The problem is, that it seems to be necessary to redo it every time I log into the system? Does somebody know if there is a way to handle it automatically?

Explorer | Level 4

Same here... Says "Connecting", and "Sign In" produces NO results.

Explorer | Level 4

@gpazmandi

In my case I have written a file /root/Startup/dropbox.sh with the following two-lines content:

#/bin/sh
/root/.dropbox-dist/dropboxd

and made the file executable:

chmod +x /root/Startup/dropbox.sh

I am using quirky linux and dropbox starts automatically with no complaints. I expect this procedure should also work for puppy linux, although I have not checked it.

Helpful | Level 5

@lluamco Thank you for the suggestion, but I didn't have problem with autostarting (which is managed with a file dropbox.desktop in folder /root/.config/autostart), the problem was that the dropbox daemon could not connect to the server.

@everybody

After some research solved the problem, so I will share my solution with the community.

To recall, the problem is that dropbox deamon can not connect to the server  (it stays forever in this status):

Untitled_1.png

Running the deamon from a terminal I get this error:

Untitled_2.png

Looking at the error message ("no handler for https"), and after some research, I found that the problem was due to a missing handler for https in the URI folder (/root/Choices/URI/).

The fix is to run the following command in a terminal (as root):

ln -s /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser /root/Choices/URI/https

After this you can open the menu with a right mouse click on the dropbox icon in the tray and select the option to connect to the server. A browser should open and you should be able to link to your account

Hope this can help somebody that has the same issue!

Dropboxer
Hey gpazmandi, thanks for sharing your Solution here! I’ve made sure to Accept it as a Solution on your behalf, so that other users may reference it in the future. 

Again, thanks taking the time to update the thread & I hope you have a great rest of the day ahead! 

[This thread is now closed. If you have a similar or new question, you could post it in the Find Answers section here. ]

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Dropbox won't open "waiting to be linked to Dropbox account"
57 Replies
46 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey