Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Highlighted

Duplicate file creation when two people are working on the same file. Why is this happening?

D38 New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I have shared files at my work and I finally was able to have the files synched and for my colleagues to be able to see updated files with the changes I make and vice versa.  The problem is if I make a change and save, it creates a file copy with my changes instead of saving the changes to the original document.  Same thing w/ my boss.  My boss made changes and when the changes were saved, another copy with her changes was made.  So now we have three different copies of the same file each time we update, instead of one file.

1 Reply

Re: Problem Synching

Dropboxer
Hey there (@D38), thanks for taking the time to explain matters for us in such detail; this has been very helpful! 

Just in order to determine the best course of action moving forward, let me ask you a few questions below, in order to ensure that I’m following-up on the right thing. 

For starters, how do the copies look like on your end? Is there a (1) appended next to the name incidentally? Are you seeing conflicted copies by any chance? I’d also appreciate it if you could let me know a bit more detail on how you’re editing your content with your boss. 

If you’d like to avoid conflicted copies when either of the editors sees another person working on the file in question — they’ll see the red Dropbox badge with the lock icon — I’d suggest coordinating with that person to take turns editing.

If both have unsaved changes — they’ll see the red Dropbox badge with the exclamation mark — we recommend that you use “Save As” to save a separate version of the file that you can work in, until the other editor is done editing.

More information
badge-collaborate0.png

I hope that my advice is- even slightly- helpful to you & I’d happily discuss it in more detail if this doesn't match what you're seeing or if you have any additional questions about any of the above!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Duplicate file creation when two people are working on the same file. Why is this happening?
1 Reply
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post