Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Re: Dropbox Update installation failed with error 0x800b010e

Explorer | Level 3

install worked in safe mode but still fails if I boot up normally.  Who knows - problem for another day!

Highlighted

Re: Dropbox Update installation failed with error 0x800b010e

Dropboxer

Sorry to hear this persists @Section8 (I understand you don't get this error on Safe Mode - which usually means that there's something wrong with your computer's configuration).

Having said that and as I'd like to help as much as I can with this, here's what I was able to find about this Windows specific error:

The 0x80004002 error may be caused by Windows system files' damage. The corrupted system files' entries can be a real threat to the well being of your computer.

Many events can result in system files' errors. An incomplete installation or uninstall, improper deletion of applications or hardware are some of them. It could also happen if your computer is recovered from a virus or malware (like adware/spyware) attack or by an improper shutdown of the computer.

All the above actions may result in the deletion/corruption of the entries in the Windows system files and, as such, the corrupted system's file will lead to the missing and wrongly linked information and files needed for the proper function of the application.

I hope this helps point you towards the right direction and please keep me posted on your progress! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Error "0x80004002" when updating Dropbox on Windows
11 Replies
1 Like
Solved! : See solution
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey