Announcements
Can you spare 5 minutes to help us improve our online support experience? Get involved!

no

Excluding folders in new Linux beta

Helpful | Level 5

I'm happy to see the new Linux beta of Dropbox that works with my file system. Its not clear, however, how I can selectively sync and exclude folders. The `dropbox exclude add` utility seems not to be present. Any ideas? I'd like to avoid syncing 100GB of backed up photos!

6 Replies

Re: Excluding folders in new Linux beta

Dropboxer

Hey there @fonnesbeck,

Since this version of the desktop app is currently only in beta, there isn't much I can suggest in terms of troubleshooting if you're not seeing the option to selectively sync folders. 

I've made sure to pass this along to our dev team for review for future improvement.

Thanks for bringing this up and I'll make sure to get back to you if I receive any updates - Cheers!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Star Collaborator | Level 18

Hi @fonnesbeck,

I'm curious - Isn't available selective sync in GUI? Or if You use console only - installing the package or just set up Python script isn't it helpful?

Helpful | Level 5

As far as I can tell there is no GUI. Its just a daemon (dropboxd) that is started and runs in the background.

Ok. What I mean is: You can't control what to be excluded using only the starting script only. ('dropboxd' is just starting script - nothing more) If You want to control how the actual daemon work, You have to use a control script, either installed using deb or rpm package install or script setup by hand. If You don't use any control script, then can't control the Dropbox daemon! Are You use something like?

Helpful | Level 5

Got it now. I downloaded the control script you linked to. There was no such script shipped with the beta; only the startup script. Thanks.

@fonnesbeck, Something more: If the only reason to use beta version is FS support, then You can use, a workaround like this. winking face In such a way You can use stable version.

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Excluding folders in new Linux beta
6 Replies
0 Likes
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post