Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us!

no

External Dropbox, New Mac

New member | Level 2

My Mac had so many issues I had to reformat the hard drive and do a clean install of the OS. I am back up but need to connect DropBox. I have downloaded and installed the DropBox app. I quit the app before it tried to do any syncing.

I need to sync this new install to an EXISTING DropBox folder on an external RAID. I obviously do not want to lose any data. There are TB of data. Do I simply go into DropBox settings and choose the existing location? Or will that overwrite all that data?

Need a step by step for a Mac so I do not lose any data.

2 Replies

Re: External Dropbox, New Mac

New member | Level 2

I ended up marking the old Dropbox folder "Dropbox OLD" and then created a new Dropbox user. I have the room on my RAID, it's just going to take days to sync.

Re: External Dropbox, New Mac

Super User II

@xparrot wrote:

... it's just going to take days to sync.

Pause syncing or exit the Dropbox app. Move (or copy if you have room, to be safe) the content of the Dropbox OLD folder into the newly created Dropbox folder. Resume syncing or re-launch the app.

At this point Dropbox will index your files. This will take time, especiall with a large Dropbox. BE PATIENT AND LET IT WORK. During this time it may appear to be uploading and downloading, but it's only sending comparison data and any changes that it needs to sync.

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

External Dropbox, New Mac
2 Replies
0 Likes
Dropbox Design Research
Looking for Dropbox Paper users

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post