Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

Files No Longer Upload With Desktop App

Level 3

Been a basic user for years.  On Win 7/64.  Been uploading all week by drag and drop in Windows Explorer.  Then tonight, when I tried to add a file to a shared folder, it would say it was uploading but the time remaining would never change (such as 3 minutes left).  I tried the same thing on two different machines - same result.

So for the time being, I uploaded the file using the web interface.  No problem.  in fact, Dropbox even downloaded it back to the folder on all my machines.

So I used Revo Uninstaller to completely uninstall the desktop app and deleted the folder on the desktop.  Then reinstalled the app.  Looks like it installed 72.4.136 but then very quickly updated itself to 73.3.100.

Still having the problem - nothing will upload with the desktop app.

(also tried uploading to various shared folder and even turn off norton autoprotect and firewall - no difference.

.... and of course, power on and off the router, cable modem, and the pc. All other uploads such as Filezilla work fine)

8 Replies

Re: Files No Longer Upload With Desktop App

Dropboxer
Hey there @Joel I.1,

It looks like your app upgraded to the Beta version (denoted xxx.3.xxx ), so I’d like to suggest trying to install the current stable version to see if this resolves the issue.

From your Account page online, towards the bottom of the page there is an option for “Early releases” that you will need to toggle “Off”. Then you can reinstall the latest stable version by downloading the app from the web and running the installation. After doing this, please can you test the uploading again to see if there is any change in the behavior.

Looking forward to hearing back from you - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

Level 3

Followed your information and turned off early releases (which have been the default for years since I never remember turning it on).  I'm back on 72.4.136.  Hopefully that should fix the problem.

Thanks for pointing it out.

Level 3

Sorry to say, the problem continues.  I just dragged a file to a dropbox folder with Windows Explorer.   The file is 635 MB.  My speedtest.net says my upload speed is 42 Mbps. About 30 min have gone by and the time remaining when I hover over the icon stays between 1 and 2 min remaining.  I had no problem using the web interface uploading that file which took about 2 min and 15 secs.

Dropboxer

Could you try unlinking your desktop app and then relinking by signing back in? Please bear in mind if you’re a Dropbox Basic user that there is a 3 device limit, should you have more than 3 devices connected please don’t unlink your desktop app and notify me. 

Let me how it goes - Thanks!

Daphne

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Level 3

I did try that.  The first 650 MB file seemed to upload OK.  Then I tried a slightly larger file, 1.53 GB and it got stuck uploading with a status of between 4 and 14 minutes remaining (through the web site it should take about 4 or 5 minutes at my upload speed).  I waited about 15 to 20 minutes and then finally cancelled.

Also keep in mind, I am getting the same result on both my Dell desktop and Dell laptop (both win7/64).

Dropboxer

I’d just like to check one last thing to see if this will help with uploading, as perhaps the file is being uploaded slowly (due to connection maybe) and giving the appearance of being stuck. 

Can you please click the Dropbox icon in your system tray, click the gear icon and choose Preferences from the menu. From the window, select Bandwidth and check that the upload is set to “Don’t limit”. After doing this, could you try one last time to upload the larger file and see if you notice any difference?

Perhaps if uploading is being limited then it could appear as though the sync is stuck.

Let me know what you find - Cheers!

Daphne

Level 3

Bandwidth was set to automatic limiting.  This apparantly is the setting done during installation since I never set or changed it.  I set it to "Don't Limit" and was able to get the  1.5 GB file uploaded.  Let me run with these setting for a while and if I have any issues, I will let you know.

Dropboxer

The default is indeed set to “limit automatically” so that the desktop app doesn’t interfere too much with other processes that might be running on your computer. I’m glad to hear that changing this setting helped you with uploading the file!

Of course, I would say it’s a good idea to try using the desktop app as normal for a period and see how it goes for now. I’ll be looking forward to your update. grinning face with smiling eyes

In the meantime, have a great day ahead - Cheers!

Daphne

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Files No Longer Upload With Desktop App
8 Replies
0 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post