cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Discover new ways to use Dropbox or share your tips with other users like you. Get involved

no

Files mysteriously dissappeared

Explorer | Level 3

I recently noticed that multiple files had been removed from Dropbox.  According to the undelete details for some of these files, they were removed from an Android device @ 12/8/2015 at 11:12am.

I went to dropbox.com/events to see what other files were removed during that day/time.  According to the events, around 112 files were removed from over 30 folders, all at 12/8/2015 11:12am.  What's even more peculiar is that not all of the files were removed from these folders.  So only certain files were removed, while other were left in tact.

Can anyone help me figure out what's going on?

-Robert

12 Replies

Re: Files mysteriously dissappeared

New member | Level 1

I am having the same problem!  How do we get LIVE Dropbox Support to fix this???

Super User II

Can anyone help me figure out what's going on?

How do we get LIVE Dropbox Support to fix this???

Phone support is only available to Dropbox for Business customers. All others use the ticket system, or you can ask questions here and we'll try to help.

Open your ticket here: https://www.dropbox.com/support
Track your ticket here: https://dropbox.zendesk.com

Replies take approximately 1 - 3 business days with Pro users getting priority (longer for Basic users).

New member | Level 1

Thanks!!!!

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

This is the first time that I've used the Dropbox ticketing system, and so far I'm less than impressed.  They appear to be ignoring information that I'm providing, and are unable to provide me with detailed information to help me restore other files that were removed in this mysterious mass file removal.

But now I wonder, are they unable to provide me with information because they don't maintain those type of audit logs, or am I left out in the cold because this is a service reserved for Business customers, like phone support.

Experienced Collaborator | Level 12

"multiple files had been removed from Dropbox"

This happens with shared-folders when an untrained "member" moves the files to their desktop.

Explorer | Level 3

These folders weren't shared.  The biggest issue I'm having right now is that I'm receiving conflicting information from Dropbox, and tech support.

According to dropbox/events, here's a list of files that were deleted from my account:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zs58s28zzjt8b6n/Deletions.PNG?dl=0

It shows that around 112 files (photos specifically) were removed from about 20 different folders.  These removals all occurred within a 60 second time frame.  But how?  When I asked tech support for more information, they pointed me to dropbox.com/deleted_files.  Unfortunately, it only identified 2-3 files that were removed at that day/time.

Another issue I'm having is the source device that removed these files.  When I restored some files through the website, the restore version history shows that each file was removed from an Android device.  However, tech support tells me they were deleted from a Windows workstation.

Either way, dropbox tech support is insisting that I removed all of those files across all of these directories within a span of 60 seconds, which I consider BS.  Plus, because they do not record directory paths, I'm not able to track down / restore all of the files.  It's two weeks later, and I'm still finding random files that need to be restored from that mass removal date.

New member | Level 1

Check     https://www.dropbox.com/account#security

to see what "devices" in your account could have done a "pocket delete'.

Also, remove "sessions" that you consider obsolete.

Note that deleting a folder is not the same as deleting files: the record is lost.

Explorer | Level 3

I already went through the security section, and inspected each device based on recent activity.  Tech support specifically said that the deletions were done from my work computer.  If the website is correct with identifying the Android device, there are only two associated to my Pro account.  So that limits it to 3 possible devices.

Also, I didn't say folders were removed.  While I don't know if folders were removed or not, I'm going by the list provided by the events page.  I just wish a directory path could be provided in the events section to make it easier to locate and restore the missing data.

New member | Level 1

I''ve lost years of files and I cannot find them, I see files in events but that is a small amount of files that now I cannot open. My files just disappeared. Does anyone have any feedback on how to recover my files? I really regret using Dropbox.

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi there,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Files mysteriously dissappeared
12 Replies
1 Like
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey