Announcements
Can you spare 5 minutes to help us improve our online support experience? Get involved!

yes

Files not synching since Mac OS upgrade to Catalina

Helpful | Level 6

I'm only starting a new discussion because the solutions offered in other forum discussions have not worked.

There are now an increasing number of Dropbox users experiencing this so it needs investigation and fast. I've been in touch with Support but they are next to useless, simply suggesting that the problem is caused by hard links being in the dropbox folder.

That is nonsense as the files not synching for me are documents, PDF's and photos, just normal files, no special characters, no strange names or file extensions. Files which have been synching fine for years in fact.

This all started when I upgraded my MAC OS to the latest Catalina version, so I suspect the Dropbox App for MAC is the problem.

My Windows system has no issues at all with the same files and folders, proving that the files are not the problem.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app and purging preference files etc as detailed elsewhere. I can upload files via a browser no problem and the sync to Windows and iOS devices, but they will not sync to my Mac running Catalina.

Someone who knows what they are doing needs to jump on this because a lot of Dropbox users will be leaving otherwise.

8 Replies

Re: Files not synching since Mac OS upgrade to Catalina

New member | Level 2

I had a similar issue, although it had started before Catalina, which I installed and then downgraded back to Mojaver.

The error message that I was getting was related to permissions for the DropBox folder. After trying several other options, I ended up deleting the DropBox folder, which is found inside your user account folder, located at: /users/youraccount/dropbox.

No problem losing data as all your files are out in the cloud. The DropBox app simply rebuilds the folder and loads your files back in.

Neal

Helpful | Level 5

I think I am having the same problem.  Post upgrade to Catalina, the sync process just goes round and round and round - never finishing.

JAB

Helpful | Level 6

Neal thanks for your feedback,  I also think it is permissions related because if I upload the same files from Windows or any web browser, they sync fine and download to my Dropbox folder on the Mac ok.

It's only if I use the Mac Dropbox app to upload that the issue occurs.

There is some sort of bug in the App when running on Catalina.

Chris

Helpful | Level 6

Thanks JAB, yes that's the symptom for sure.

I moved all my files out of Dropbox on my Mac, followed numerous suggestions to uninstall, then reinstall the app, clearing preference files etc etc, then tried to put the files back and most would not re-sync and upload.

If I uploaded the same files from a Windows PC or via a any web browser, they uploaded and then synched bacxk to my Mac without issue.

So there is definately some sort of permissions bug with the Mac App in Catalina.

Hopefully they will resolve it soon.

Once the support guys realise that there is a problem that is, because as of now they just keep fobbing me off suggesting the problem is hard links or sym links, which is simply not true.

Chris

Helpful | Level 5

Chris,

I am no great expert.  But see here: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Files-folders/DB-never-fully-syncs-on-my-Mac/m-p/372713#M131957 .

Although this took a lot of nerve (and admitting that I really had no idea of the basics), the solutui described here worked for me - as soon as I had done the things proposed, my Dropbox cleared itself (a bit like unblocking a drain!); and is now hapilly back to normal.  You would need to adapt the pathes etc to your context - and I hope you understand the way that the person helpong me found out what the correct path was (becaue I don't).  

All the best.

JAB

Helpful | Level 6

Ok, thanks JAB,

So this seems to confirm that the problem is permissions related as these commands basically reset the permissions for the entire Dropbox folder.

I think I've fixed my issue now, but the way I did it was to start from scratch but with the new Smart Sync feature disabled. Maybe there is a permissions issue with that feature alone - I don't know.

Glad that you're problem is fixed though, good stuff!

Chris

Helpful | Level 6

FIXED!!!!

Catalina has a raft of new security features and steps you have to go through in order to allow free movement of files etc.

I fixed all my problems by going to:

System Preferences>Security & Privacy>Privacy - Select Full Disk Access from the left and ensure that the Dropbox App has it's box ticked (you will need to click the locked padlock at the bottom of the window to put a tick in the box.

Voila! It's a shame Dropbox support didn't make that simple suggestion a week ago!

Chris

New member | Level 2

OH MY DOG

I have been struggling with this for WEEKS and DropBox help staff sent me on a wild goose chase thinking it was my Ext Drive's fault, but THAT'S ALL I HAD TO DO!? Wow, thanks so much, you were so helpful, blessings, Dog bless hahahaha wow

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Files not synching since Mac OS upgrade to Catalina
8 Replies
3 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post