Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Folders showing Mixed State when Smart Sync disabled

Explorer | Level 3

For some reason I am getting the Mixed State icon on folders that I have recently chosen to sync locally when I have Smart Sync disabled, as per the photos below. Anyone know what's going on? TIA

Smart Sync.PNGIcon.PNG

9 Replies

Re: Folders showing Mixed State when Smart Sync disabled

Dropboxer
Hey there @Aztek,

If you right click the folder and choose it to be local, does this prompt the app to sync the remaining “Online only” files to start syncing locally?

Previously when you chose to sync the folder locally, did you see it fully reverted to local, or is it possible that syncing was interrupted and some content remained online only? 

Let me know - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Daphne ,

There's no syncing options when I right click, I'm guessing because Smart Sync is disabled.

The only previous time I tried to sync was when I re-linked dropbox, which all folders synced then show with a Local Content tick.

When I go into a Mixed State folder, all files are marked with a Local Content tick, but any folders inside are marked with a Mixed State tick, but when you go into those folders all files are marked Local Content as well.

All I can think of is that there is a hidden file that isn't being locally synced, or that there is some sort of bug, because I would've thought that with Smart Sync disabled it wouldn't be possible for the Mixed State tick to even appear.

I hope this makes sense.

Dropboxer
Hey again @Aztek,

Thanks for all that extra info, I understand what you’re referring to and it does seem a little strange having the mixed state folder icons in this case. 

If you haven’t done so already after disabling smart sync, can you please restart your device? This should refresh the app and the file explorer and might resolve the issue you’re seeing there.

Otherwise, please can you do a reinstall of the desktop app by simply downloading and installing the desktop app.

Let me know how it goes - Thanks!

Daphne

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

New member | Level 2

Same issue here on Mac. Restarting does not fix it for me either.

Dropboxer

Hey @Jacob_Pritchard,

If you go within the folder, are all contents showing they are local with a White check mark next to them? Or are some still showing as "Online only" with the grey cloud symbol?

If all content within these "mixed state" folders appear to be local, can you try doing a quick reinstall of the software helps with that?

Let me know what you find - Thanks!

Daphne

New member | Level 2

Hi

I've got the same problem on my Mac.  I've tried restarting, reinstalling with no change.  Still showing mixed state for the parent folder and all sub folders are showing the grey cloud symbol.

any help would be great!

cheers

Kym

Dropboxer

Hey there @Kyms,

As a first step, could you please let me know if the mixed state icon stays even after you right-click on it and select it to be online-only manually?

If it does continue to show that it's online-only, could you please send me a screenshot (without any personal info) of what you see when you hover over the Dropbox icon that's next to your computer's clock? 

Let me know what you find!

Lusil

Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2

I am having the same problem

db plus 80.3.116;  want all data from dbox on my local machine.  Keep getting mixed online and local.  Don't see an enable/disble for smart sync.  How do I make this happen?  Need to be able to work offline with all files. ie machine won't be connected.  Seems I have to navigate to each folder and then it starts to download instead of downloading with the local setting.  This can't be a "feature" right?  

dbox-setting.pngdbox-setting.pngdbox-folder-mixed-undetermined.png

Dropboxer

Hi there @jseiwert - thanks for the screenshots. 

Initially, please note that I've removed personal information included in your images attached for security and privacy purposes as per Community Guidelines

Moving on to your main concern though, I can see that the content in your Dropbox folder is still syncing. For this reason, I'd recommend allowing some time for the files to sync.

When the sync is complete, you can right click on your Dropbox folder and the Smart Sync option should appear in the drop-down menu for you to select local

If you're still having trouble with this though, I'd recommend giving the latest stable version a try (79.4.143). Please remember that a beta version can be recognized by a xx.3.xx, instead of the xx.4.xx; so if you’re on a beta build, it means that you have opted in to Early Releases in your online account settings.

Let me know of any updates!

Lusil

Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Folders showing Mixed State when Smart Sync disabled
9 Replies
1 Like
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post