cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Force link to open in same browser instead of app

Force link to open in same browser instead of app

connorhawke
Collaborator | Level 8
This is regarding a link on my site to my public dropbox folder. Is there a way to format the URL to open in the browser that the URL was opened from, rather than the DropBox app? For example, currently if a user taps on a link to a public DropBox folder within Safari iOS and the user already has DropBox installed on their phone, the DropBox app will open and direct them to the folder, instead of Safari doing this. Long-tapping on the link in Safari and tapping Open in Background is an insufficient workaround as I want the link to open in the browser by default.
5 Replies 5

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @connorhawke - how are you today?

As you're probably doing this on a mobile device, your best bet would be to request the desktop version of the web page you're on when accessing the mentioned shared link(s) so as to preview the files within the browser itself.

That being said, note that you can also force a shared link to download if you'd like anyone accessing it download the file(s) it links to and open them natively on their device:

In addition, I was wondering if you get the same results on other browsers other than Safari so if you ge the chance to try it out on another browser and let me know the results that'd be awesome.

Thanks in advance Connor!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

connorhawke
Collaborator | Level 8
Hi Walter, I know how to force my public folder to open in the browser for myself, but I want to rewrite the URL (or implement another fix) to force it to open in the browser without requiring a workaround such as requesting the desktop site etc, so anyone tapping the link normally will just be directed to the public folder on the browser instead of the dropbox app if they have that installed. I want them to be directed to the folder, not any specific file in the folder. Tried both dl=0 and dl=1; neither resolve this. Same issue on Chrome iOS as on Safari iOS.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

I understand now - thanks for the clarifications and additional information Connor.

As this isn't the default behavior for shared links when people have the mobile app installed, I'll log this with the team as a feature request. I can't comment if or when it's going to be implemented though.

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback and use-case on this; it's most appreciated!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Tim H.37
New member | Level 2
Hi did you find a solution to this? I have same issue .

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Tim H.37, thanks for nudging us on this thread. 

When tapping to open shared links on a mobile device, you'll get a prompt asking you to choose how you'd like to preview them. 

Nonetheless, you can post this here, where other like-minded users can comment and upvote your idea.

Hope this helps to some extent!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lusil Dropbox Staff
    Tim H.37 New member | Level 2
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    connorhawke Collaborator | Level 8
What do Dropbox user levels mean?