Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Frustrating: can't install Dropbox on Windows 10 64bits

New member | Level 2

I used to have Dropbox in my computer with Windows 10 Pro 32 bits. After formatting it yesterday, I installed Windows 10 Education Pro 64 bits, but I can't install Dropbox now. I get always the same error: "Error 2".  And 30 minutes ago...I used to have the "permission error", but not now...it's error 2 now. Could you help me?

Tags (1)
1 Reply

Re: Frustrating: can't install Dropbox on Windows 10 64bits

Dropboxer

Hey there @miselcan,

Since you mention that you're getting an error 2 while attempting to install the desktop app, the issue you're experiencing may be related to an incomplete file created in the Program Files folder path location or to a problem with the PATH environment variable.

For this reason, you need to verify that the files installed in these paths are OK:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox
C:\Program Files\Dropbox - (if you don't see the '(x86)')

Normally, you should see a folder named, Client within this folder path. If you see that, instead of a folder, there appears to be a 0 byte file named Client, please remove it, and then attempt to install the app once again.

If doing so does not resolve the issue outright or you find a proper folder instead of the 0 byte file, then you may be able to fix the issue by setting up your PATH environment variable or reverting it back to the default one.

You can find more info on how to do this in this online article.

It seems that, most of the times, the PATH environment variable should contain the following:

%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%

If you would like, you can try this step and then try installing.

Finally, if none of the above fixed the issue, please clear any Dropbox app files remaining (deleting any of these folders will not delete the files in your Dropbox folder) and then try installing once again.

Please ensure that there is no record of a Dropbox folder within any of the following locations:

%APPDATA%
%LOCALAPPDATA% 
%PROGRAMFILES%
%PROGRAMFILES(x86)%

You can copy and paste each one of them into the address field of Windows explorer (not Internet explorer) and then press enter. If you find a Dropbox folder there, please remove it, restart your system, and give the installation process one last time.

Let me know how it goes!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Frustrating: can't install Dropbox on Windows 10 64bits
1 Reply
0 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post