cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Getting strange icons in Windows Explorer

Getting strange icons in Windows Explorer

edw00d
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Since the Windows July Update yesterday i get strange icons in my Windows Explorer. (Drive letter with little red X)

When i close the Dropbox Service they are gone.

Dropbox Version 77.3.125
Windows 10 1903 Build 18362.239

dropbox.PNG

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @edw00d - sorry to hear (and see) that!

As I can see that you're on the beta build of our desktop app and these are still in the testing process, you could experience some issues or an inconsistent experience.

As a first step to isolate this -admittedly weird- issue, I would highly recommend that you install our latest stable version of the Dropbox desktop application.

To do this, you will first need to follow these steps to verify that you have opted out of "Include me in early releases" option in your settings on Dropbox.com. This will ensure that the application does not automatically update to the beta build after you install the latest stable build:

1. Log in to www.Dropbox.com using your web browser.
  2. Click on you account picture/avatar at the top right corner of the page.
  3. Click on "Settings".
  4. From the "General" tab, scroll down to the section titled "Preferences" and uncheck the box next to "Include me in early releases" if it is checked.

Then, use the following link to install the latest stable version of the Dropbox desktop application: https://www.dropbox.com/downloading?build=76.4.126&plat=win&type=full

Let me know the results when you get the chance please!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @edw00d - sorry to hear (and see) that!

As I can see that you're on the beta build of our desktop app and these are still in the testing process, you could experience some issues or an inconsistent experience.

As a first step to isolate this -admittedly weird- issue, I would highly recommend that you install our latest stable version of the Dropbox desktop application.

To do this, you will first need to follow these steps to verify that you have opted out of "Include me in early releases" option in your settings on Dropbox.com. This will ensure that the application does not automatically update to the beta build after you install the latest stable build:

1. Log in to www.Dropbox.com using your web browser.
  2. Click on you account picture/avatar at the top right corner of the page.
  3. Click on "Settings".
  4. From the "General" tab, scroll down to the section titled "Preferences" and uncheck the box next to "Include me in early releases" if it is checked.

Then, use the following link to install the latest stable version of the Dropbox desktop application: https://www.dropbox.com/downloading?build=76.4.126&plat=win&type=full

Let me know the results when you get the chance please!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

edw00d
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks fixed the problem.

Will you report that bug to the beta team?

Nakturnal
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Dropbox add icons on my drives . Anyone knows what the problem and how can i solve it Screenshot_6.jpg

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @Nakturnal,

Are You using beta version?! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Go to stable!

Hope this helps!

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Sorry to hear about this @Nakturnal - I've just moved your post under this thread as your query echoes the one the OP has described. Could you take a look at my suggestion and let me know if it did the trick for you too?

@edw00d: Thanks for letting me know that worked for you - I appreciate it.

On a side note, if you'd like to give feedback directly to the team for a specific build of our desktop app, please take a look at our 'Beta Testers' section of the Community and find the one that's giving you these problems. You can find the Beta testers section here: 

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Beta-testers/ct-p/101003000

Specifically for v. 77.3.125, you'd need to browse to this page: 

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Desktop-client-builds/Beta-Build-77-3-125/td-p/354168

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Nakturnal
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

thank you Walter the method you described helped me

Kanario
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi,

Today when I turned on my pc and opened System, every icon in there showed a small red circle with a white "x" inside of it (see capture) but, on the other hand, I could open all them and have access to the files as usual before this happened (Discs C: E: and F:, and the DVD RW unit).

a.PNG

I spent a couple of hours in Google trying to investigate it but found just something similar concerning to OneDrive cloud.

What did I do? I opened the Task Manager, and in Processes tab, I did right click on "Dropbox.exe" and selected "Finish proccess".

So soon as I did it, opened again System, and all these "x" symbols disspeared from the icons.

After this, I launched Dropbox, and when it was ready, I refreshed System folder (F5) and every icon showed again the same white "x" into a red circle. Again stopped Dropbox through TaskAdmin, refreshed System folder and that "x" dissapeared again after refreshing, so I think it could have some kind of relation with that symbol in the icons.

Then I downloaded DroppboxInstaller.exe and executed it, and the issue reproduced again.

Do you know if there is any solution, or should I uninstall and reinstall Dropbox? Thank you.

PD: windows 7 professional Service Pack1

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @Kanario - sorry to hear about this.

As some other users reported this too, I went ahead and merged your post into this thread so as to ping you with my suggestion (i.e. downgrade from the beta build and install our latest stable version of the desktop app). 

Can you take a look and let me know if it worked for you as well?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the late response - your post had been caught by our Community's spam filters (probably due to its length) and I just got the chance to get to it. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?