Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

Grey X on desktop files, folders and shortcuts

Level 3

I see grey 'X's on files/shortcuts and folders (both!) on my windows 10 pro 64bit, latest version desktop. If I press F5 (to refresh), they go away for a second then reappear. Not ALL of the files have the X, but most do.

You can see a screenshot here.
https://scottiestech.info/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/grey_X_icons.jpg

Any suggestions appreciated...

7 Replies

Re: Grey X on desktop files, folders and shortcuts

Super User II

That doesn't seem to be a Dropbox overlay. Do you have any other applications that use icon overlays?

For reference, here are the icon overlays that you would see from Dropbox:

Level 3

Interesting that the grey X isn't a dropbox indicator.  When I closed dropbox, then the X's went away, so it felt like Dropbox was the culprit.  Thoughts?

Super User II
Maybe worth a reinstall? Wonder if the overlays have become corrupt?

www.dropbox.com/downloading

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Super User II
Corrupt overlays could definitely be a possibility. Windows has a limit of 15 registered overlays, and if you have multiple applications that use overlays, they'll start to overwrite each other. This is a common complaint to Microsoft for such a low limit, and to Dropbox for registering so many for itself. Mark is correct that if it is a problem with your overlays, a reinstall would usually fix it.

Side note... a grey X, according to Microsoft, refers to a file that's been archived to tape. Running any backup software?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Interesting image, Jeff... 

This is definitely not a Dropbox icon, though it's possible that there could be some conflict in some way.

I've done some research on the web, and found this long and old thread for people with the same issue, including the same image you posted!

After a brief scan of the thread, it appears that it could be related to OneDrive, or Carbonite, or a corrupt icon cache, since those Xs should be the shortcut arrow instead.

The simplest thing you can do is right-click on an empty spot on the desktop and then click Refresh. 

Try reading over that thread to see what else might work for you. Note that as this appears to be unrelated to Dropbox, I can't officially recommend any steps which might affect your system.

Let us know how it goes!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 2

Hi,

I was facing this issue today of having Grey X on some of my desktop shortcuts as well as saved files on desktop.  I tried this ==> went to task manager ==> In processes tab, i selected Windows Explorer & clicked on Restart.  You can as well End Task Windows Explorer and restart again.

This resolved the Grey X issue for me.

thx,

Girish

Level 3

Thanks for the reply.  I did the same, x's reappeared immediately.

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Grey X on desktop files, folders and shortcuts
7 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post