cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

Headless install on a Windows substem for Linux

New member | Level 2

Hi, I am currently using the Ubuntu app for Windows subsystem for Linux (its on the windows app store). I am attempting to get headless dropbox working on it but I am running into issues.

I obtained python script using

wget https://www.dropbox.com/download?dl=packages/dropbox.py -O dropbox.py

I installed with ./dropbox.py start -i and ran it with ./dropbox.py . I linked my account and then I get the error

/home/shaun/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-80.4.127/python-packages-37.zip/psutil/_pslinux.py:544: RuntimeWarning: 'sin' and 'sout' swap memory stats couldn't be determined and were set to 0 ([Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/proc/vmstat')

Searching around I found this thread https://github.com/microsoft/WSL/issues/1071 which suggest it is a common issue with WSL systems but has been fixed by the latest versions of psutil. However upgrading my psutil obviously doesn't upgrade the psutil libraries in the dropbox install.

Does anyone have a fix or another way of getting dropbox to work in this situation?

22 Replies

Re: Headless install on a Windows substem for Linux

Star Collaborator | Level 19

Hi @shaun252,

Why You prefer some "Windows subsystem" and not virtual install of your choice (VmWare, VirtualBox, QEMU,... and so on)? I have no idea what is the system used and what types of problem exist there, but virtual install work definitely. winking face Try at least...

Explorer | Level 4

Did you get a dropbox installtion working on a Linux subsystem? I'm keen to as the Windows client is incapable of syncing the number of files I need it to.

Hi @dickymoore,

The things usually work. What exactly is going wrong in your case? Some additional information for the way you have used to start the Dropbox application (through shell commands connected from Windows side or using graphical shell) could clear the things even more. What happens exactly? Any additional information (like screenshot or terminal outputs, if any) would be useful.

Explorer | Level 4
Thanks for your reply. I'm getting the same as the original poster:
/home/**bleep**/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-80.4.127/python-packages-37.zip/psutil/_pslinux.py:544: RuntimeWarning: 'sin' and 'sout' swap memory stats couldn't be determined and were set to 0 ([Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/proc/vmstat')

This is on a Ubuntu subsystem

Explorer | Level 4
I'm just using dropbox headless at the moment. No GUIs are supported on WSL I beleive

Some users think that headless is used, but talk about graphics later, that's why I'm asking. Generally GUI would be available if you use such emulator. Anyway...

Try following, line by line as is:

rm -rf ~/.dropbox-dist ~/.dropbox
wget -q -O ~/dropbox https://www.dropbox.com/download?dl=packages/dropbox.py
chmod a+x ~/dropbox
~/dropbox start -i

Post as much as possible (together commands and results) in your next reply (preferably in code block </>, as mine - more readable), so we can diagnose further. winking face

ADD: Something else. In addition (what's actual state) post results from following commands:

lsb_release -d
cat /proc/vmstat > /dev/null

Explorer | Level 4

Hi Здравко. Thanks so much for your help with this.

On a new Ubuntu installation on Windows 10, I ran the commands you suggested:

1  rm -rf ~/.dropbox-dist ~/.dropbox
    2  wget -q -O ~/dropbox https://www.dropbox.com/download?dl=packages/dropbox.py
    3  chmod a+x ~/dropbox
    4  ~/dropbox start -i

This is the output I received:

[sudo] password for **bleep**:
root@DAW:~# rm -rf ~/.dropbox-dist ~/.dropbox
root@DAW:~# wget -q -O ~/dropbox https://www.dropbox.com/download?dl=packages/dropbox.py
root@DAW:~# chmod a+x ~/dropbox
root@DAW:~# ~/dropbox start -i
Starting Dropbox...
Downloading Dropbox... 100%to share and store your files online. Want to learn more? Head to https://www.dropbox.com/
Unpacking Dropbox... 100%dropbox: locating interpreter
dropbox: logging to /tmp/dropbox-antifreeze-Qy1Ffuprietary daemon.
dropbox: initializingthon3-gpgme for Ubuntu 16.10 and lower) is not installed, we will not be able to verify binary signdropbox: initializing python 3.7.5
dropbox: setting program path '/home/**bleep**/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-88.4.172/dropbox'
dropbox: setting python path '/home/**bleep**/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-88.4.172:/home/**bleep**/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-88.4.172/python-packages.zip'
dropbox: python initialized
dropbox: running dropbox
dropbox: setting args
dropbox: applying overrides
dropbox: running main script
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/**bleep**/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-88.4.172/cryptography.hazmat.bindings._constant_time.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/**bleep**/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-88.4.172/cryptography.hazmat.bindings._openssl.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/**bleep**/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-88.4.172/cryptography.hazmat.bindings._padding.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/**bleep**/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-88.4.172/psutil._psutil_linux.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/**bleep**/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-88.4.172/psutil._psutil_posix.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/**bleep**/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-88.4.172/apex._apex.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/**bleep**/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-88.4.172/tornado.speedups.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
success!

dropbox: locating interpreter
dropbox: logging to /tmp/dropbox-antifreeze-NSXl5F
dropbox: initializing
dropbox: initializing python 3.7.5
dropbox: setting program path '/home/**bleep**/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-88.4.172/dropbox'
dropbox: setting python path '/home/**bleep**/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-88.4.172:/home/**bleep**/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-88.4.172/python-packages.zip'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/**bleep**/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-88.4.172/cryptography.hazmat.bindings._constant_time.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/**bleep**/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-88.4.172/cryptography.hazmat.bindings._openssl.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/**bleep**/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-88.4.172/cryptography.hazmat.bindings._padding.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/**bleep**/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-88.4.172/psutil._psutil_linux.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/**bleep**/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-88.4.172/psutil._psutil_posix.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/**bleep**/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-88.4.172/apex._apex.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/**bleep**/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-88.4.172/tornado.speedups.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
Done!

Then if I run 

~/dropbox status

I get 

Starting...
To link this computer to a Dropbox account, visit the following url:
https://www.dropbox.com/cli_link_nonce?nonceface without mouthxxxxxxxxxx

And when I browse to that URL and click connect, a message comes up in the console saying:

/home/**bleep**/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-88.4.172/python-packages.zip/psutil/_pslinux.py:544: RuntimeWarning: 'sin' and 'sout' swap memory stats couldn't be determined and were set to 0 ([Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/proc/vmstat')

if I run:

lsb_release -d

I receive: 

Description:    Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS
cat: /proc/vmstat: No such file or directory

Explorer | Level 4

Lol. I think my posts keep getting deleted because my name is being detected as a profanity!

Here's my post:

Hi Здравко. Thanks so much for your help with this.

On a new Ubuntu installation on Windows 10, I ran the commands you suggested:

1 rm -rf ~/.dropbox-dist ~/.dropbox
2 wget -q -O ~/dropbox https://www.dropbox.com/download?dl=packages/dropbox.py
3 chmod a+x ~/dropbox
4 ~/dropbox start -i

This is the output I received:

[sudo] password for user:
root@DAW:~# rm -rf ~/.dropbox-dist ~/.dropbox
root@DAW:~# wget -q -O ~/dropbox https://www.dropbox.com/download?dl=packages/dropbox.py
root@DAW:~# chmod a+x ~/dropbox
root@DAW:~# ~/dropbox start -i
Starting Dropbox...
Downloading Dropbox... 100%to share and store your files online. Want to learn more? Head to https://www.dropbox.com/
Unpacking Dropbox... 100%dropbox: locating interpreter
dropbox: logging to /tmp/dropbox-antifreeze-Qy1Ffuprietary daemon.
dropbox: initializingthon3-gpgme for Ubuntu 16.10 and lower) is not installed, we will not be able to verify binary signdropbox: initializing python 3.7.5
dropbox: setting program path '/home/user/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-88.4.172/dropbox'
dropbox: setting python path '/home/user/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-88.4.172:/home/user/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-88.4.172/python-packages.zip'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/user/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-88.4.172/cryptography.hazmat.bindings._constant_time.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/user/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-88.4.172/cryptography.hazmat.bindings._openssl.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/user/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-88.4.172/cryptography.hazmat.bindings._padding.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/user/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-88.4.172/psutil._psutil_linux.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/user/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-88.4.172/psutil._psutil_posix.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/user/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-88.4.172/apex._apex.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/user/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-88.4.172/tornado.speedups.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
success!

dropbox: locating interpreter
dropbox: logging to /tmp/dropbox-antifreeze-NSXl5F
dropbox: initializing
dropbox: initializing python 3.7.5
dropbox: setting program path '/home/user/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-88.4.172/dropbox'
dropbox: setting python path '/home/user/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-88.4.172:/home/user/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-88.4.172/python-packages.zip'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/user/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-88.4.172/cryptography.hazmat.bindings._constant_time.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/user/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-88.4.172/cryptography.hazmat.bindings._openssl.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/user/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-88.4.172/cryptography.hazmat.bindings._padding.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/user/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-88.4.172/psutil._psutil_linux.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/user/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-88.4.172/psutil._psutil_posix.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/user/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-88.4.172/apex._apex.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/user/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-88.4.172/tornado.speedups.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
Done!

Then if I run 

~/dropbox status
I get 
Starting...
To link this computer to a Dropbox account, visit the following url:
https://www.dropbox.com/cli_link_nonce?nonceface without mouthxxxxxxxxxx

And when I browse to that URL and click connect, a message comes up in the console saying:

/home/user/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-88.4.172/python-packages.zip/psutil/_pslinux.py:544: RuntimeWarning: 'sin' and 'sout' swap memory stats couldn't be determined and were set to 0 ([Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/proc/vmstat')

if I run:

lsb_release -d

I receive: 

Description: Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS
cat: /proc/vmstat: No such file or directory

Explorer | Level 4

My post is being deleted for some reason. I might try posting it in chunks...

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Headless install on a Windows substem for Linux
22 Replies
3 Likes
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post