Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

Highlighted

High CPU USage, Dropbox unusable since some days?

New member | Level 2

Hello

I use Dropbox since more than 10 years.

I use it on this (same) computer since 5 years alone.
So, it always worked and I know how to use it.

Since a few days it is absolute nuts and unusable.
Whenever I start to copy files to the Dropbox the CPU Usage goes up to at least 35%, laptop fan starts to spin fast. It never did that before, neve before the last years on this laptop.

Especially crazy it gets if I start to RE-name a folder. I acts completey crazy, blocks me from typing the new name after 1-5 chars, renames the folder to just 1 char then, CPU usage is up at 100%... even when I STOP sync it does not change. Last time it went into a LOOP of re-naming the directory do a few chars, rename it back, rename it new, rename it back. I do all that tasks within windows explorer in the dropbox folder.

What the hell is going on with Dropbox?

Can I go back to a stable version somewhow?

Tags (1)
1 Reply

Re: High CPU USage, Dropbox unusable since some days?

Dropboxer
Hey @bodomalo, sorry to hear that you’ve run into this issue upon renaming your files; let’s see what can be done to amend that. 

• If that’s okay with you, could you start off referencing this resource for the diagnosing phase?
  • Does that happen irrespective of other apps you’re using?
  • Have you tried systematically force-quitting other apps that could be conflicting as you go & check the results? 
Please let me know of your findings whenever you have a spare minute! 

[This thread is closed due to inactivity. Please create a new topic for your Dropbox request or feedback]

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

High CPU USage, Dropbox unusable since some days?
1 Reply
0 Likes
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post