cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Discover new ways to use Dropbox or share your tips with other users like you. Get involved

yes

High CPU Usage; Neverending Upload (But Actually Uploaded)

Explorer | Level 4

Thanks in advance for any suggestions anyone might have. Here's the situation:

We are a small business with several computers hooked into and synching with the same company Dropbox account. I am writing now about the problem seemingly with my computer in particular. Two apparently interconnected things are happening. 

1) After starting up, the status icon in the bottom right always indicates that Dropbox is constantly uploading. Not only that, it is always uploading seemingly every file in our company account (almost 33k files). Moreover, by all indications, the files are actually synching up fine on this particular machine. They are downloaded and show up on my computer shortly after someone else in the office synchs. In other words, there actually doesn't appear to be anything more to upload. Perhaps the best way to articulate this issue is that Dropbox on my computer never actually *completes* the process of uploading and is constantly trying to upload everything. 

2) Dropbox is actively eating up the CPU usage on my computer. While the application is active, it comprises anywhere from 35% to 65% of the total CPU usage, hovering around 50% on average. In addition, with Dropbox active, the CPU is operating at or near 100% capacity. To be sure, the specs on this computer are not pristine by any means (see below), but as far as I can tell, it shouldn't have any problems running Dropbox. If I shut down the application, the processing is night and day--rarely exceeding 7-10%.

Our situation is being reviewed by advanced Dropbox tech support after lower level folks could not help. We're frankly not very optimistic. But we'll see. If all else fails, I am going to totally reinstall Dropbox at the end of the week and selectively synch files to see if uploading will complete. Short of this, does anyone have any ideas?

Basic Computer Specs:

• Windows 10
  • Intel Premium D 3 GHz precessor
  • 32-bit operating system
  • 4GB RAM

Again, the computer is relatively limited with its hardware, but I am not convinced that is the issue. Several other office computers have less and work with Dropbox better.

Thanks again,

Matt

Tags (1)
8 Replies

Re: High CPU Usage; Neverending Upload (But Actually Uploaded)

Dropboxer

Hi @SouthArc - welcome to the Dropbox Community and thanks for your extensive description. 

I know this might sound obvious, but have you rebooted this computer at all lately?

If you've already checked the relevant resource about high CPU usage, I'd be glad to have a further look into this.

I'll just need a screenshot of the exact status of the app as shown within the affected computer's system tray and one from your task manager where you see the Dropbox instances and the resources they use on your computer.

I've also passed your comments to your existing ticket so the expert that's handling your case is aware as well.

Let me know what you find Matt! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 4

Thanks for responding, Walter. We reset pretty regularly, and I've reset the computer a few times today as I tried to figure this out. The screenshots are below. Hopefully this is what you need.

Matt

DropboxTray.pngTaskManagerProcesses.pngTaskManagerPerformance.png

Dropboxer

Thanks for the quick response and additional info Matt!

Can you let me know if you have any antivirus program installed on that computer and disable it temporarily to see if it helps?

If it doesn't, I'll need to dig a tad deeper and I'll need account and device specific information so please let me know if you'd like me to reach out to your Dropbox associated email address to work on this together. 

Walter

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Explorer | Level 4

So far as I can tell, the only antivirus/security on the computer is the built-in Windows stuff. I have the firewall disabled. Should I disable all the antivirus options as well?

If at all possible, could we correspond via my work email? Just replace the name in the first part of the address with "matt". The email on the company account here is for my boss.

Matt

Explorer | Level 4

Update. I turned off all the Windows Defender functions and it seems to have greatly reduced the CPU% that Dropbox consumes while running (now ranges from 2% to 12dizzy face. I plan to restart the computer again and see how it does on a second run. 

If this did solve the processor issue, do you know if there are particular Defender settings that affect this? In other words, can I turn anything back on or does it all need to be disabled?

Also, this appears to prove that this issue is separate of the "Uploading 32,962 files..." perpetual tray status. That remains unresolved.

Matt

Explorer | Level 4

Update 2. After restarting and additional monitoring, the large consumption of processing power has resumed, although it has become much more irregular and inconsistent. It goes anywhere from 2-3% of the total processing power to 60%, and then right back down. Spikes are common, and overall, the first problem persists.

Matt

Dropboxer

Thanks for all your updates on the matter Matt!

It's possible that you'll need to whitelist our app within your antivirus program and configure your firewall -if needed- to work with Dropbox. 

That being said,at this point, as we'll need account and device specific information to troubleshoot further, I'd suggest contacting our support team through the relevant form

Ping me the ticket's ID here so I can locate and get on it as soon as possible @SouthArc

Walter

Explorer | Level 4

Walter,

Thanks for your responses. I ended up simply reinstalling the app and the issue is now resolved. Go figure! Thanks again.

Matt

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi there,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

High CPU Usage; Neverending Upload (But Actually Uploaded)
8 Replies
1 Like
Solved! : See solution
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post